Low FPS

xxc00lmanxx

In Runtime
Hello,

Well heres my problem. Everytime i play a game (any Game) my FPS drop like crazy. what happens is i play for about 5 min and im fine, then it drops to about 9 - 20 ever 3 min then goes back to about 60, it drops every 3 or so min to that. if i keep the computer on standby then play my game i last a little longers before the FPS starts to kick in. I have tryed a new Video card, i lowerd all my settings, i got new ram, i got a new Heat Sink and fan. i dont no what i could be. my CPU still seems to get too hot even tho i got a new HSF. but people say 60 should be fine while playing games. OH and i just Just installed a fresh copy of windows. i had this problem about 2 months ago but it stop after i played around with the old heat sink and cleared the dust outa it.. i also removed the CPU and put it back in. it was fine for about 2 months. now it started again, so thats y i got a new Heat Sink Fan. but it still lag..

My old topic : http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=69242
i fixed that CPU usage problem.

Picture :
znlkwl.jpg

Specs:
3.4Ghz HT
ATI x1650 pro
1 GB kingstone Ram

I know that sometimes its not the hardware's problem, when i first built my rig, i was getting 60 fps in CS, but after typing a command into console, i successfully brought FPS up to 100. you can try typing "fps_max 100" into your game console, that only works with steam games though (team fortress is steam right?).

I know that sometimes its not the hardware's problem, when i first built my rig, i was getting 60 fps in CS, but after typing a command into console, i successfully brought FPS up to 100. you can try typing "fps_max 100" into your game console, that only works with steam games though (team fortress is steam right?).

this has nothing to do with his problem. cs is limited to 60 fps by default, it's basically the same thing as vsync. It doesn't reduce performance, it just prevents the fps from going above 60.

Definitely sounds like overheating though, but 60c shouldn't be too much for a p4. Vid card temps? Have you overclocked the video card? Also which powersupply do you have?

I think it could be thermal throttling. Especially if you have a P4. Try cleaning all the dust out of the fans and heatsink and make sure all four the cooler is properly attached to the mobo.

Alright, ill take out the HSF and reinstall it to make sure its in good. Also u think it could be that i kept the thermal paste from the old HSF (Heat Sink Fan) Plus the new stuff..

this has nothing to do with his problem. cs is limited to 60 fps by default, it's basically the same thing as vsync. It doesn't reduce performance, it just prevents the fps from going above 60.

Definitely sounds like overheating though, but 60c shouldn't be too much for a p4. Vid card temps? Have you overclocked the video card? Also which powersupply do you have?

I have a 380 watt power supply plus 2 120mm fans. for my video card temp, im at a 50 - 52 on the desktop. in game it started at 60 - 66 but after about 10 min of play it started to to go 66 - 72. the lag starts when the temp drops down. then im good while the temp is higher

Alright, ill take out the HSF and reinstall it to make sure its in good. Also u think it could be that i kept the thermal paste from the old HSF (Heat Sink Fan) Plus the new stuff..
You must clean the heatsink base and the CPU heatspreader and reapply the thermal compound everytime you seperate the two surfaces.

well that might or might not be the problem but it will definitely lower the temps so it's something you should do.

And while it could be thermal throttling it would be weird to have it turn on so early. P4's can should be able to take about 80c and my p4 is sometimes running at around 70c without any problems.

Yeah I know, because Thermal throttling normally kicks in around 75 to 80c so unless that program is reading it wrong... But at least it'll eliminate one possibility.

Back
Top Bottom