Car Thread!

Yup, I thought the Ford only had like 400hp stock though. So the extra 600hp must be all from those turbos or something. Oh, and they all ran on 93 octane pump gas, no high octane racing gas or anything.

This isnt exatcly related to the rotary that has been talked about for the last 20 pages... lol, but today in physics I was reading my car and driver magazine(I still will ace the test, lol) and I read about a 0-200-0 test. Thought it was pretty interesting, so I will give the basic details here:

5 cars
1. Viper Venom with 1033hp at the crank
2. Chevy correvette around 1100hp
3. Ford gt40 around 1090hp
4. Lambo Murcielago( I think) 885hp, worst power to rate ratio though.
5. Saleen S7 775hp, but light wieght.

All were modified to high horsepower. Except the S7. I think the Ford was hardly modified though. The Vette had like $180,000 in mods.
For the test, the owner of the lambo had it modified so it could break 200 by adding things, and taking some away. It had twin turbos at about 8 pounds of boost. And the AWD was taken off to make it rear-wheel drive.
The S7 also was slower in the lower gears and barely made it to 200mph.
The vette could not complete because of a cracked head gasket after the practice run.
The viper timed in at about 30seconds, the S7 at about 37 seconds, the Gallardo somewhere in between, can't remember... and the Gt40 timed in at 26.5 seconds! The corvette was tested 4 weeks later, in 15 degrees colder weather, so it timed in at 27 seconds before 3 brake rotars cracked in between different tests. Although the corrvette timed in close to the Ford, the writer of the article thinks that the other cars could have done a little better in the colder weather as well.

and what the hell was that test trying to prove? It sounds like one of the most useless pieces of knowledge to know about.

It really makes NO sense to have a car with that much power to the wheels. How are they even controllable????? I would classify them as death traps waiting to happen!!!

I know "I" didn't buy a sports car for it to be fuel-efficient(maybe thats why Mercedes stayed away from the Rotary) and I don't know where people are getting this "not as reliable" from...............compared to what a Diesel engine? In that case hardly any gas engine would be as reliable to a Diesel. If you're talking gas to gas I don't see your case. Maybe the older Rotaries.....

Remember guys, on the net, you'll really only hear from people about an engine with something goes wrong with it. 95% of the people have NO problem with the Rotary. I feel its like everything else in the world, you treat it good, it treats you good.

I said it was great in a sports car like the RX-8.

It really makes NO sense to have a car with that much power to the wheels. How are they even controllable????? I would classify them as death traps waiting to happen!!!

Umm no... 1000hp is not super high... Some have like 2000hp. The saleen, is made for high speed racing. Thats why you need 775hp to keep you going. And the other cars are heavier, so they need more horsepower for high speed racing as well. It takes a helluva lot of skill to control a car like at high speeds as well, as circuit racing at lw speeds like the RX-8 does.

and what the hell was that test trying to prove? It sounds like one of the most useless pieces of knowledge to know about.
It's trying to show modern technology... There are drag cars out there with 1600, 2000hp, but as the article said, 5 years ago, a test like this could not even have been done. The last time a test like this was done, it was a 0-150-0 test, and a while before that, all they could do was a 0-100-0 test.

Side note, I got to ride in my friends trans am that was completely rebuild yesterday! They had to throw a 400 in it for now, while the 455 HO is rebuilt. But it still has a good amount of power, to do donuts and burnouts, and all that fun stuff. Thats what drag cars can do, that's why I like american muscle! Have fun with the power!

^And American muscle sounds really great. Not like mmhh, a civic. FARTTTTTTT, FARTTTTTTTTTT, bobuibhiosgwiajsbgvoisv, FARTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I'll be ordering New Rotors and Hawk Brakes next week. I'll take pictures when I have everything installed!!!! YES!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom