new to linux, it's growing on me.

serpentracer

In Runtime
I admit it, I always wanted to use it but it just never worked like it should. until now with ubuntu 7.10. but I've been reading the net "how to's" and I find myself liking it more and more. But only after I've done days and days of searching, learning, and reading. now it's almost 100%.
only problem I have is there are no drivers for my printer.:(

here is a few pics,
showphoto.php

showphoto.php

What is the make and model of your printer? Lets start with that and move on from there.

Welcome to the world of linux. It is a huge world and it is great that you are starting out. AIM me anytime you have a problem I can probably help you with most problems, and can point you in the right direction if I don't have an answer.

Cheers!

Have you done some research over Google for your printer drivers?

Sometimes, 3rd Party enthusiastics will create some. They can be compatible with LPD (Line Printer Daemon) or Cups (Common Unix Printing System).

it's a cheapy printer anyway. but it's a lexmark z845. lexmark has a linux developers kit. but I don't know how to make a driver. I've googled my printer and I have found that there is currently no drivers available because it's a windows based printer. or something like that. I've tried all the generic drives but they don't work.

it's funny, but I always kept saying man this linux stuff is too complicated. it still kind of is, but at least the package managers make installing software a breeze.
once you learn what things are and how they work it really is a better OS than windows in many ways.
I just wish more companies would step up and provide drivers for things like printers and software for the printers/scanners etc.. like they do for windows.
linux is great if you can make that stuff.
It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out how to convert my videos from my camera so I could upload them to google video or youtube.:D I'm such a noob. haha.

credit has to be given to the ubuntu developers. until this, I gave up on linux. I gave it numerous tries. and also thanks to everyone that has a website and is writing all these how to's etc. without them I was lost.
that was one of the big turn offs for me about linux. everyone on forums was a snob. none of them would come right out and explain to you how to do stuff.
without a degree in programing, I didn't have a frigging clue as to what they were telling me. LOL.

I do have one gripe, I cannot get any cd ripping program to actually work.
and it needs a good do it all media player like Mircrosoft media player.

you need 3-4 programs to do the work that one should be doing.

Here is a bit of advice for you. You aren't going to get most of the programs that you run on windows to run in linux. They aren't programmed correctly. There is a simple cd burning program called Serpentine. It is a drag and drop program.

I would also recommend that you look in the add/remove programs section for another couple of programs that might suit your needs betters, there are a lot out there. Go to Applications > Add/Remove Programs, to get to it.

Cheers!

Here is a bit of advice for you. You aren't going to get most of the programs that you run on windows to run in linux. They aren't programmed correctly. There is a simple cd burning program called Serpentine. It is a drag and drop program.

I would also recommend that you look in the add/remove programs section for another couple of programs that might suit your needs betters, there are a lot out there. Go to Applications > Add/Remove Programs, to get to it.

Cheers!
I wasn't trying to run anything from windows. as for the cd rippers,
I've tried every single one of them.
only one works soundjuicer, but the sound is messed up.:mad:

Is there any way I can get the latest Linux OS and have a dual boot set up option where I can select Linux or XP pro?

I've wanted to give Linux a go for the last 6 months. If I can have a dual boot option that would be great.

Yes! What Linux distro are you looking to use. The one that I would recommend for a beginner is Ubuntu. You can check it out at www.ubuntu.com. Other distros are: Fedora Core, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, Cent OS. Just do a google search and you will come up with a lot more.

All that you have to do is download the ISO file for your computer, the options are x86, 64bit, and PPC, are the most popular. Most people know what they have but if you don't then just check in your system info. I would recommend that you download the livecd. That way you can try out the OS before you install it, to see if you like it. Then just install it and have a blast.

I would recommend reading looking at this thread for help with installing all the OS's mentioned above.
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=69816

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom