Just bought a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme

The fan should be on the front as above, the cfm is a little low too, I'm using a Scythe Slip Stream120 which does 110cfm at 1900rpm, it never goes above 1700rpm so I'd say around 95-100cfm?? maybe, close to double what you're pushing anyway, maybe looking at a different fan would help too.

I know for sure it is installed with arctic silver 5 because I bought it and told them to install the original heatsink and fan with it. Then I brought the tube back when they installed the thermalright and told them to use the tube again. So it is installed with AS5.

Even though they used AS5 mistakes can still happen and they may have seated it improperly. I would take it back and ask them to redo it.

Also it seems to have improved a bit overnight running Prime95
Load temps are
56C
56C
51C
50C

Temperatures will improve over time as the thermal paste fills in any gaps or empty spaces in the tiny imperfections on the bottom of the heatsink. There is a break in period where you should let the temperatures increase to their highest under load then allow the computer to completely cool off by shutting it down for a while. This should be done occasionally for the first while.

@ ATF. Did you use the P5K's CPU voltage damper? I have it set on auto as I really don't know what to do with it. I know it's supposed to reduce vdroop but wouldn't that make my load temps higher?

It doesn't work on the Vanilla P5K unfortunately, the P5K Pro it works but not the vanilla.

It works a treat on this board though (it's called "Load Line Calibration"), virtually no vdroop at all, in fact occasionally it runs fractionally higher under load than idle.

I guess it went through a little bit of a break in period because these are temps now

Idle
356FSB
1.3V
3.2Ghz

39C
39C
37C
35C

I never checked load yet.

Hello, I had quickly scanned this thread and I didn't see anything about Lapping the 120 extreme? Did u Lapp it? The heatsink like this MUST be lapped!!! It will drop ur temps by about 9c maybe more if u Lapp the CPU

Cheers

A quad core on 1.45V will run hot on any air cooler on top of it. What case do you have?

Back
Top Bottom