wierd pc problem on startup

88crxhfb18

Beta member
Hey everyone im new here. I can usually fix 99% of my computer problems but dont know where to start with this one. So if I leave the computer off for about a day or so when i goto start it i get the message before windows even starts. It says something along the lines of "cannot find \windows\system\ press r to reload" sometimes I have to press r several times then it finially starts up and runs fine. Any ideas ? A BIOS problem or motherboard fault maybe ?

yes I have had this alot, its because your missing a file in systems folder, put a XP disk in and boot it, then go and press R for SYSTEM RECOVER, now if your good with commands then you should know what to do.

If your still unsure, put xp disk in, then it will say, ststem recovery, well press R, now a black screen? ok now log onto admin, which you would press 1 then enter, now type: chkdsk/r then try chkdsk/p

goodluck it will fix it and replace the file with a brand new one.

enjoy

if that was the case, which i dont doubt you, but wouldnt it happen every time I start up, and not just randomly ?

I agree with cobra, you should try a windows repair from the xp disc first, it sounds like a missing or corrupt file, a virus scan in safe mode would be worth a try as well, on a second thought I wonder if this could be a sign of the CMOS battery dyeing? have you noticed any time faults on you clock? if so then replace the CMOS battery,A.S.A.P.

Did a full format and re-install of XP. left it off few a few days, and it just did it again ? any ideas ? would it be worth a try to replace the motherboard battery ?

no that wouldn't affect system files, is htere any removable media in the computer?

Back
Top Bottom