Intel Nehalem & Future CPU Questions.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Almost 2 years ago I made a terrible decision by giving a local computer store almost $2700 to build me a computer, terrible mistake!!! This was also the time when dual/quad processors just came out. I had been stuck with single AMD 4000+ processor and DDR memory for all this time.

I am almost ready for my first build now, just waiting for Q9450 to see the comparisons toward E8400. Most of us know that the next gen processors are on its way (Nehalem) Q4 2008. My question is how fast the Nehalem will be compared to Q9450/E8400 (haven't decided et) I don think that I will be able to handle the disappointment if Nehalem will be 2X as the current top of the line processors…I know that there hasn't been much information released about Nehalem but in general, is it going to 1 crazy processor? I know that it's going to a new socket so upgrading the processor is out of the question…What would u guys suggest I do?

Thanks.

No one can say for sure, but it should be a big deal. It will sport Intel's biggest architectural change since the Pentium Pros back in 95. INTEL is replacing the legacy FSB with Intel QuickPath Interconnect. This is HUGE.

Not to mention it will have support for ddr3 memory. They are also bringing back Hyperthreading in what INTEL has only described as a "Much more efficient model."

The quad core version of it, (nehalem will be available with up to 8 cores), will have over 731 million transistors. And transistors in the end are what make up the raw power of any processor. Some will even have integrated graphics cards on the die itself.

Its worth holding out for. Penryn was a stepping stone to the future of 45nm technology, Nehalem. Definitely worth holding out for if you can wait.

I really was hoping you going to say the apposite lol I been waiting so long now that I'm not sure what to do any more...grrr I mean they say it will be released Q4 but knowing intell it might be Q2 2009 for all we know...that's 1 year from now!

I love Intel's fancy "Quickpath interconnect" name. It's actually just a copy of AMD's Hypertransport. As the FSB is replaced. The idividual cores will no longer have to go through the FSB to communicate with each other, or, thanks to the integrates memory control (Yet another thing Intel will be copying AMD on), the Nehalems will no longer have to go through the North bridge to communicate with the memory. All this makes latencies lower and an overall more efficient processor. Whether it will provide a huge leap in performance, that we have yet to find out. I think that if you can cope with what you have now, then you should wait for the Nehalems and the 45nm Phenoms. Or another option is to build a cheaper system to last until the new CPUs. Something like a 4000+ X2, 2GB of DDR2 800MHz and an 8800GS/HD 3850 or 70 or a 9600GT.

I love Intel's fancy "Quickpath interconnect" name. It's actually just a copy of AMD's Hypertransport. As the FSB is replaced. The idividual cores will no longer have to go through the FSB to communicate with each other, or, thanks to the integrates memory control (Yet another thing Intel will be copying AMD on), the Nehalems will no longer have to go through the North bridge to communicate with the memory. All this makes latencies lower and an overall more efficient processor. Whether it will provide a huge leap in performance, that we have yet to find out. I think that if you can cope with what you have now, then you should wait for the Nehalems and the 45nm Phenoms. Or another option is to build a cheaper system to last until the new CPUs. Something like a 4000+ X2, 2GB of DDR2 800MHz and an 8800GS/HD 3850 or 70 or a 9600GT.

Thanks for that detaild information. Deff something to think about.

Be patient man, the good will come.

Not very informative cobra...the good comes out every few quarters or so that way I can just wait 4ever. My main question was if Nahelm will be THAT MUCH of an improvement, and what I gat from other forums I'm not sure If I'm willing to wait 1 year for it... It's a long time don't u agree? The parts that would need to be changed If I decided to upgrade is the CPU, MOBO & maybe RAM. If DDR3 ram will be main stream by then I will have even more reasons to upgrade. I also heard that Nahelm will be very expansive & waiting few month after its release might be a good idea, that way they will fix all the bugs...etc Well I guess I made up my mind, thanks for all the info guys.

Back
Top Bottom