New HDD's Need Help plz

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I'm getting ready for my new build, top of the line PC. I am trying to make a decision if I should go with 2 raptors in raid 0 for OS/Games. I also need a 2nd HDD for my HUGE movie collection/music. I was thinking about getting the 32m cache HDD maybe 750GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07776+1035424340+103530113&name=400GB+-+750GB

From that list, what would u go with? Are these good choices? Are there any major problems with 32meg HDD?

I am also concerned with noise from raptors in raid 0 are they really that loud? Most likely I will have COSMOS S 1100 case how good is it towards canceling out the noise? Is there anything on the net I can use for my case to help cancel the noise?

Someone just told me if I go with 2 32meg cache HDD in raid 0 I might just get better performance then the raptors because of the SATA 3.0 and bigger cache size, and have my noise problem solved. What do u guys think about that? If No, would the 32meg HDD be the next best thing to a raptor?

none, you don;t want 7200rpm for the kind of pc your building, your gonner want a 10000 rpm and westorn digital is best i think

Cobra thank you

I guess what I'm looking for is more then just "get raptor". Raptor has faster seek time, but everything else compare to a good 7200 rpm hdd is slower...+ raptors are loud.

Also can u help with the rest of my original post?

(I am also concerned with noise from raptors in raid 0 are they really that loud? Most likely I will have COSMOS S 1100 case how good is it towards canceling out the noise? Is there anything on the net I can use for my case to help cancel the noise?

Someone just told me if I go with 2 32meg cache HDD in raid 0 I might just get better performance then the raptors because of the SATA 3.0 and bigger cache size, and have my noise problem solved. What do u guys think about that? If No, would the 32meg HDD be the next best thing to a raptor?)

Can u comment on that?

Thanks

Google my friend:

1. Check that your PC case is standing flat on it's feet. Reduce vibration between the PC and the table/floor. Experiment with rubber mats or even old mouse mats. Many cases need to take air in from the underside of the case so do avoid blocking any air vents. Avoid objects resting against the outside of your PC case.
2. Ensure that internal components like hard disks, optical drives and other moving parts are secured down firmly and screwed down tight. Do the same with the side panels of your case.
3. Use tie wraps to secure loose cables inside the case to prevent them from touching moving parts (avoid the use of rubber bands as these get brittle over time and they break into little pieces which get into fans)
4. Vacuum the dust out of your PC. Dust clogs up fans causing them to get louder over time
5. If your CRT monitor generates a buzzing sound or audible hiss then it is faulty, the manufacturer should be willing to repair/replace it
6. Keep devices like mobiles – and other objects capable of electromagnetic interference – far away from PCs. Note that baby monitors, washing machines and a range of other household devices can interfere with your PC and/or cause your speakers to hiss, click or burst into pops.
7. Depending on your operating system and modem you can usually set your modem to “silent” mode so it doesn't make a noise when dialing out.
8. You could also experiment with the “Power” settings in the Windows control panel to set hard disks/monitors/fans to turn off in a pre-determined time if the PC is not being used. Read the Windows help file on what the various suspend/sleep and other modes mean. You can also turn off the "Windows" sounds i.e. the automatic wav files that are associated with Windows starting up, shutting down and running a variety of other tasks.

Google my friend:

1. Check that your PC case is standing flat on it's feet. Reduce vibration between the PC and the table/floor. Experiment with rubber mats or even old mouse mats. Many cases need to take air in from the underside of the case so do avoid blocking any air vents. Avoid objects resting against the outside of your PC case.
2. Ensure that internal components like hard disks, optical drives and other moving parts are secured down firmly and screwed down tight. Do the same with the side panels of your case.
3. Use tie wraps to secure loose cables inside the case to prevent them from touching moving parts (avoid the use of rubber bands as these get brittle over time and they break into little pieces which get into fans)
4. Vacuum the dust out of your PC. Dust clogs up fans causing them to get louder over time
5. If your CRT monitor generates a buzzing sound or audible hiss then it is faulty, the manufacturer should be willing to repair/replace it
6. Keep devices like mobiles – and other objects capable of electromagnetic interference – far away from PCs. Note that baby monitors, washing machines and a range of other household devices can interfere with your PC and/or cause your speakers to hiss, click or burst into pops.
7. Depending on your operating system and modem you can usually set your modem to “silent” mode so it doesn't make a noise when dialing out.
8. You could also experiment with the “Power” settings in the Windows control panel to set hard disks/monitors/fans to turn off in a pre-determined time if the PC is not being used. Read the Windows help file on what the various suspend/sleep and other modes mean. You can also turn off the "Windows" sounds i.e. the automatic wav files that are associated with Windows starting up, shutting down and running a variety of other tasks.

What is all this??? I asked you if u know how to make my case sound proof so I wouldn't hear the raptors & If u think 32m cache HDD are any good? And u gave me an assay about nothing...If u don't know the answer plz, don't reply next time. It will save u and me both time. Also if everything was that easy/reliable on Google people wouldn't need this forum now would they?

Doesn't anyone has actual input?

O man.. I'm having 2nd thoughts now.. I'm really concerned about the noise from raptor, not sure if I would like to hear constant click click click click click in the background, my pc is on the table about 18" away. If I decided an alternative to raptor should I go with WS 7200.11 HDD 16m cache or a 32m cache HDD? Won't the 32m cache be better because it has more cache? I will deff set them to raid 0. People say that 7200.11 are very good hdd & that I will most likely not see much of a difference. Please help me out here, so we can finally be done with this thread.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom