Internet problems

toole13

In Runtime
Ok, well my problems seem to be being told in novel form here. I have wiped my HD and re-installed my OS. I replaced Vista Ultimate, which was a bit slow and glitchy, with XP Home until I can buy more RAM. My problem is, my laptop cannot find the internet card that came with the laptop. I have to plug in my wireless adapter from another computer to get internet. How can I make my laptop find the card and get internet by itself? I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running XP Home. Thanks.

If you check the device manager under that hardware tab of your system settings. What does it say for wireless cards, or doesn't it say anything at all? When you check there is it has the card listed, try to update the drivers and see what it does.

You might have to keep using the adapter card and then go the manufactures website and download the drivers if you can't update the drivers in windows.

Cheers!

When I go to the device manager, and I go to the Network Adapter tab, it lists only the wireless adapter that I am using as improv.

1. Was it seated correctly?
2. The drivers were installed correct?

Usually these 2 are the problems. But according to the previous posts I can safely assume that there are drivers. As far as them being up-to-date I don't know.

Also, did you reinstall windows with a CD or did you use a recovery disc?

For some laptops you need to use the recovery discs that came with them so the install the applications and drivers for the internal hardware that came with the laptop. That was the case of my Acer.

1. Was it seated correctly?
2. The drivers were installed correct?

Usually these 2 are the problems. But according to the previous posts I can safely assume that there are drivers. As far as them being up-to-date I don't know.

Also, did you reinstall windows with a CD or did you use a recovery disc?

For some laptops you need to use the recovery discs that came with them so the install the applications and drivers for the internal hardware that came with the laptop. That was the case of my Acer.

Well I don't know what "seated correctly" means, and I'm not sure about the drivers. Here is a screen shot of my drivers and such: http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/toolea13/networkadapter.jpg

My laptop came with Vista Basic, I got Vista Ultimate and installed it on my laptop, and then after I got this virus I installed Windows XP, thinking it would run a little better on my computer. So I'm not sure about recovery disks either, and I'm thinking about just going back to Vista Ultimate. Blagh

Well I don't know what "seated correctly" means, and I'm not sure about the drivers. Here is a screen shot of my drivers and such: http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/toolea13/networkadapter.jpg

My laptop came with Vista Basic, I got Vista Ultimate and installed it on my laptop, and then after I got this virus I installed Windows XP, thinking it would run a little better on my computer. So I'm not sure about recovery disks either, and I'm thinking about just going back to Vista Ultimate. Blagh

I think the problem you have is that your laptop came with VISTA so all the drivers in the laptop are for Vista, now you have installed XP you have incompatible issues, the only way I can think of to fix the problem is go to your llaptop manufacturers web site and download the XP drivers for them devices.

Lol scratch that seated correctly. I always say that cuz most of the times we're dealing with a desktop. urs is a laptop. so scratch that. it comes out automatically

I think the problem you have is that your laptop came with VISTA so all the drivers in the laptop are for Vista, now you have installed XP you have incompatible issues, the only way I can think of to fix the problem is go to your llaptop manufacturers web site and download the XP drivers for them devices.

Totally 100% correct their

Anyway, yes, but theirs another way.

give me 5mins and ill do some research on your drivers, because you need to download some drivers

whats your laptop model number below on the laptop?

thnx

or even the name

Totally 100% correct their

Anyway, yes, but theirs another way.

give me 5mins and ill do some research on your drivers, because you need to download some drivers

whats your laptop model number below on the laptop?

thnx

or even the name

I really appreciate the offer of putting the time into it, but I got it to work! Thanks to everyone for all the help. One more question: should I stick with XP or should I go back to Vista Ultimate? I like Vista's interface and all, but I feel like XP will be faster maybe? Any opinions, pros or cons? Maybe I should start a new thread...

Back
Top Bottom