Hmm, I Need a TV Tuner card.

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
With my old Vaio desktop PC, I had a TV tuner card. I would use a cheap splitter to split the cable connection in my room between two wires; one for the cable modem and one for my tuner cable input.

I spend a good portion of my day following the US markets and financial news, and it would be a big help to have some of my shows recorded and stored on my PC. That way, I can get home and watch them whenever I've got the time in my own room.

Now, here come the questions :)

1. I've got two PCI slots and one PCI-Ex16 slot that are free in my case. As you can see in the posted picture, the top PCI slot is literally touching the video card, so I'd rather use the free x16 slot or the lowest PCI slot. What do you guys recommend? What sort/brand of card should I go ahead and use? I'm not very familiar with TV tuner options and specs, so I can definitely use some suggestions.

2. Should I worry about my power supply? I'm currently running a Corsair 450W PS, and with the specs listed in my signature, I think I might be pushing the computer close to its limit. Will a TV tuner card push me over the edge?

3. Are there more "efficient" ways to split a cable connection for the TV tuner and my cable modem? I've got 6 computers in our house sharing a 5mbps cable connection. At any given time, we've got 2-3 being used. I remember that we had problems with our connectivity and speed with our cable modem, and the company suggested that my splitter was causing the problems. :rolleyes: Just wanted to see what your input on that is.

Cheers,

Chris

sounds abit hard to understand.

Its sounds as if your looking for a new tv tuner that i understand, any will do thats cheap, they all mostaly do the same thing but why would you buy one now a days? why not download VeohTV? Or download a tv application or watch the channel on your tv and record via pc?

number 3 pfft, splitting a tv tuner for your cable modem? never even heard of any kind of thing. cable modem? wtf?

o shooot i understand, ahhh i get you, ummm right, umm i dont know man, lol triple post sorry, umm no i dont think you can split it because your modem wire is running the internet not the tv tuner.

Alright, seems that you're missing my point.

Yes, I'm looking for a TV tuner card. My main question consisted of asking you guys to find me a good video card, one that you have experience with or might have good ratings. I understand that I can search on NewEgg but I wanted some forum input.

As far as splitting the cable modem line, i'm not asking you if it's possible. It IS possible...I've been using it like that for years on my Vaio. What I want to find out is if the splitter itself will make THAT big of an impact on my internet speeds (the cable company worker said it would...). And I wanted to see how you guys might solve a problem like that. Say, if you've got a cable internet connection in your room, but also use a TV tuner on your computer, how do you manage between both cable lines? I'm sure you're not using TWO separate cable lines from the wall, right?

lol, thats strange.

how do you do the wire thing?

can you talk me threw it, ? i would love to give it a shot as im a big tv watcher

lol, thats strange.

how do you do the wire thing?

can you talk me threw it, ? i would love to give it a shot as im a big tv watcher

Basically, you've got a cable WIRE coming out of the wall socket, right? The one that literally screws into your cable MODEM. Check out the picture, the wire goes into the CABLE IN.

fconn.jpg

In my case, I use a router, but that doesn't have much of a bearing on this situation. Basically, if you go to any comp hardware store, or even radioshack, they sell cable wire splitters. Its basically three plugs; one for the main wire coming out of the wall, and TWO for your new, split connections. You use one wire to connect it to your cable modem like you originally had, and the second one basically screws into your TV tuner card. I think that should make it clear for you.

Now, I actually found my old ATI tv tuner card I used to use in my Vaio, and will attempt to install it onto my computer after I'm done typing this. If anyone knows anything about TV tuners, please chime in. Do I have to go ahead and another splitter in order to utilize the TV Tuner like I used to with my Vaio? Technically my computer DOES have internet connection, but I'm guessing that the card needs a direct cable feed from the wall in order to get the programming and shows. I think I'll need to split it again. Hmph.

Chris

EDIT: Just remembered....the wire you're splitting is referred to as Coaxial cable. Wow, brainfart...

i thought you ment something else.

right, if it slows my connection down no thnx but if their is a solution yes im all in

thnx man bookmarked

Back
Top Bottom