Computer automatically restarting

nazgul42

Beta member
When I turn my PC on, it will start booting up for about 2 seconds, turn itself off and back on again, and do it over and over. It does not get to loading the OS during this. This started yesterday, and I unplugged the computer overnight and plugged it back in, and it worked for a time and started doing this again. It is a decent computer, about 1 and 1/2 years old... I was going to reinstall Windows on it because it is loaded with junk, and it shut down during the installation... I have not added any new hardware lately... Thanks for any help

Hmm,It could be some sort of hardware problem,Just a guess but i think it might be the PSU OR the Bios Clock battery.Have you got a spare Power supply? If not,Just try changing the Bios battery.

could be a virus. Or it could be as simple as the power button being stuck!!!

could be a virus. Or it could be as simple as the power button being stuck!!!

How could it be a virus? Two seconds isn't even log enough to get through the POST, let alone load windows. Also he said it was in middle of a reinstall of windows when it shutdown. That means the hard drive was formatted and ANY virus was wiped and is no factor.

I'd make sure the system isn't over-heating. Clean it of dust. While the side panel is open, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and video card (if present), if they are bulging near the top, oozing/have oozed a brown substance, or blown open the motherboard or video card is bad.

yes, it could overheat that quickly.

I'd put money on it being a dodgy PSU, try unplugging everything leaving only the mainboard and processor fan plugged in, (no HDDs CD/DVD drives case fans etc) and see if it stays on for longer.

if it does then your power drain is too high for the PS and you need a bigger rated unit.

hmmmm... I dont have a spare PSU that has the right connections for that PC... No capacitors have overloaded/overheated... I don't really think it is the PSU because this came from Dell and the only thing I have added was a stick of ram about a year ago or so...

I don't really think it is the PSU because this came from Dell and the only thing I have added was a stick of ram about a year ago or so...

Just because it came from Dell doesn't mean it's good. Usually it ends up being the opposite with Dell.

How could it be a virus? Two seconds isn't even log enough to get through the POST, let alone load windows. Also he said it was in middle of a reinstall of windows when it shutdown. That means the hard drive was formatted and ANY virus was wiped and is no factor.

I'd make sure the system isn't over-heating. Clean it of dust. While the side panel is open, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and video card (if present), if they are bulging near the top, oozing/have oozed a brown substance, or blown open the motherboard or video card is bad.

I agree, having had a similar problem, sudden constant restarts usually relates to heat issues, what's your computer temps?, have you sufficient cooling in your tower?, take of you side panel and check the heatsinc for dust, clean with a fine
brush if it clogged up(between the panels) hoover out your tower carefully not touching the MB and components, this should be done every 3months.

Open up the side of your case and check the HSF is firmly attached to the motherboard, and that all four push pins are secure. I'm assuming this is a P4, right?

Back
Top Bottom