Car Thread!

Coilovers, HID's, tint?

Coilovers are overrated. If you're only using the car as a daily driver and you occasionally do some spirited driving, stiffer shocks and springs should be fine. Coilovers are only needed if you're planning to make your RX-8 into a track car. It'll just become a nuisance for daily driving since your bottom will ache with every bump and you'll curse at every bump and crack you find on the road.

if the rotary engine was that great, every car produced would be using one.

Many have tried but you have to go with the audience you are pushing the car for. It's an engine that many are clueless about....The average person doesnt even know what a Rotary Engine is, let alone what cars have them.

Mercedes tried to buy the rights to it years ago if I remember correctly.

Wankel engines are great for a car like the RX-8, I think, but not the average car. They aren't exactly the most fuel-efficient and not as reliable.

Wankel engines are great for a car like the RX-8, I think, but not the average car. They aren't exactly the most fuel-efficient and not as reliable.

I know "I" didn't buy a sports car for it to be fuel-efficient(maybe thats why Mercedes stayed away from the Rotary) and I don't know where people are getting this "not as reliable" from...............compared to what a Diesel engine? In that case hardly any gas engine would be as reliable to a Diesel. If you're talking gas to gas I don't see your case. Maybe the older Rotaries.....

Remember guys, on the net, you'll really only hear from people about an engine with something goes wrong with it. 95% of the people have NO problem with the Rotary. I feel its like everything else in the world, you treat it good, it treats you good.

This isnt exatcly related to the rotary that has been talked about for the last 20 pages... lol, but today in physics I was reading my car and driver magazine(I still will ace the test, lol) and I read about a 0-200-0 test. Thought it was pretty interesting, so I will give the basic details here:

5 cars
1. Viper Venom with 1033hp at the crank
2. Chevy correvette around 1100hp
3. Ford gt40 around 1090hp
4. Lambo Murcielago( I think) 885hp, worst power to rate ratio though.
5. Saleen S7 775hp, but light wieght.

All were modified to high horsepower. Except the S7. I think the Ford was hardly modified though. The Vette had like $180,000 in mods.
For the test, the owner of the lambo had it modified so it could break 200 by adding things, and taking some away. It had twin turbos at about 8 pounds of boost. And the AWD was taken off to make it rear-wheel drive.
The S7 also was slower in the lower gears and barely made it to 200mph.
The vette could not complete because of a cracked head gasket after the practice run.
The viper timed in at about 30seconds, the S7 at about 37 seconds, the Gallardo somewhere in between, can't remember... and the Gt40 timed in at 26.5 seconds! The corvette was tested 4 weeks later, in 15 degrees colder weather, so it timed in at 27 seconds before 3 brake rotars cracked in between different tests. Although the corrvette timed in close to the Ford, the writer of the article thinks that the other cars could have done a little better in the colder weather as well.

I think I read that article, the Ford GT has twin-turbos on a completely stock motor and fuel system.

Back
Top Bottom