HELP ME!! BIOS Memory Setting Changed Three Beeps no Boot

RoadHog285

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I have really messed up this time. I changed my BIOS setting from automatic to manual aggressive. Now I have two 2GB memory and two 1GB memories. The computer can handle up to 8GB.
The problem is I changed the setting and now can not get back to the BIOS menu to change it back. I tried the jumper to reset. I tried to remove the battery. I tried buying new memory cards. And no matter what I do I get the same three beeps.
I can not figure out how to reset the BIOS to default. Intel does not seem to have a clue. Gateway is stupid they think I don't now how to put the cards in and that is the only thing that could be wrong (They really piss me off). I have read some things about people having problems with other mother boards that don't have jumpers. Has anyone had trouble like this with a D975XLAG1 Motherboard? If so what do I do? Or if not does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to replace the mother board if it is not necessary.

Please help if you can!

The jumper reset or taking the battery out should reset the mobo. Look up your mobo and find out what three beeps means for your mobo, it could be a different issue.

How long did you leave the battery out for? In most cases, it's best to remove it for at least 20 - 30 minutes. Turn off your computer, unplug the power supply from the wall outlet, then remove the battery. After 30 minutes, reinstall the battery, plug your PSU back in, then reboot and enter the BIOS to reset the time, and load the failsafe defaults.

have you tried booting with just one stick of ram in, just to see if it will post o allow you to try F2 or delete to get to the bios?

If I remember right, 3 beeps is usually a memory problem. Re-seat the memory chips and see if that helps. Also try reseting the BIOS, like Jason said. Use the jumper and battery to make sure it works.

You have two posts I didn't realize, I thought id typed an answer already and was starting to think I was loosing my mind lol

How long did you leave the battery out for? In most cases, it's best to remove it for at least 20 - 30 minutes. Turn off your computer, unplug the power supply from the wall outlet, then remove the battery. After 30 minutes, reinstall the battery, plug your PSU back in, then reboot and enter the BIOS to reset the time, and load the failsafe defaults.

I left it out for 36 hours. I was always told 24 hours was needed.

have you tried booting with just one stick of ram in, just to see if it will post o allow you to try F2 or delete to get to the bios?

Yes tried that does not resond at all. same three beeps sends nothing to the monitor. video card runs good. Three beeps according to what i read means no memory or memory timing is wrong.

You have two posts I didn't realize, I thought id typed an answer already and was starting to think I was loosing my mind lol

Sorry about that I was not sure where to ask the question.

If I remember right, 3 beeps is usually a memory problem. Re-seat the memory chips and see if that helps. Also try reseting the BIOS, like Jason said. Use the jumper and battery to make sure it works.

I did both of those things. System still does not respond.

{Edit} Please don't double post. Use the edit button, or the multi-quote feature.

You said you bought new memory. Have you tried booting with a single stick of the old memory?

Yes I tried with the old and the new. I tried one new and with both new. Tried with all of the old ones. I tried with two new and two old. I even tried the jumper and removing the battery then just putting in the new cards. It's like the memory card bank is not on the mother board at all. I have read that people had problems like this before and short of replacing the mother board I dont know what to do. :confused:

My computer has 2 250 GB hard drive set on RAID 0 it has the sound blaster sound card and I believe the AVI video card. 2 DVD RW (one light scride) drives and one floppy. Not sure what good this info may be to you but it is the reason I would even bother trying to replace the motherboard it also has the Core2duo 2.4GHz with 6 GB of ram capabible of 8 GB of ram.

{Edit} See post 7

Yea, that's an odd one. Usually clearing the CMOS does the trick when fiddling with memory timings.

Here's a shot in the dark. Try cleaning the contacts on the memory. You could use something like rubbing alcohol or acetone (fingernail polish remover) on a Q-tip or soft cloth.

Back
Top Bottom