Is Someone Spying on Me?

was the laptop sealed when you got it? was everything in the box? i wouldnt worry about monitoring software, especially for dvd's...

Well with technology I wouldn't be suprized. My dad called dell to see how we can get the Viruses off of my computer. They were using my computer from their office. It was weird watching them do it while i sit there. weird today. I mean my dad works for ADT tyco Fire/ Security and they sell cameras that can tell if you fall if it is a fake fall or a real fall. So imagine whats next.

Ok, easy solution, Install hijack, and disconnect from the local network when watching the movie. I think most of these spy programs are setup to monitor a specific app. Try installing a different video player (I highly recomment the K-Multimedia Player.) You never know something that simple might work for that kind of thing. If you install a new Video player and they have that spy program setup to only monitor programs that they have installed, you might be in the clear.

KMPlayer

If it was me, I would just format the laptop. That way not only are you deleting any current records of what you may have watched, but you are also deleting any "spying" software that they may have installed on it.

If it was me, I would just format the laptop. That way not only are you deleting any current records of what you may have watched, but you are also deleting any "spying" software that they may have installed on it.

It's a work computer though. Most companies don't allow you to modify their systems, or reformat it yourself. In some companies, tampering like that could get you fired.

Mammi et. al. : Thank you for your input and...

First of all, I'm not going to delete or uninstall anything. Neither am I going to add or install any new software. I would have to have administrative access to do this. Adding any un-approved software would be illegal and worse of a crime. I actually know how to gain administrative access because I know what the administrators password/sign on is. But that's a whole different matter.

Second, I know it's not my computer...but it IS. I would appreciate not getting into the moral thing here. I'm just asking for technical advice on how to use what's already on the computer, ie. the operating system (windows XP) to see if there's any "tracking" or "spy" software on it.

I've worked for this organization for many, many years and had many, many laptops issued to me. I've screwed around with some and gotten away with it but I'm at a point in my career where it's not worth it. You may think that watching a DVD on the laptop is morally wrong. I'm not concerned with such a judgment. I know what the moral parameters of my actions.

All I want to know is - would they know if they checked it. I don't want to change anything, add anything or take anything away...unless I know they the computer police are coming for sure.

Now, if and when I connect this lap top to the network...that's when they can down load the record of just exactly what I've done. I don't plan on connecting it to the network though. Not until I know there's nothing tricky going on.

I have to agree with the other posters here. While there are programs that will enable you to find and delete monitering software, it would not be too wise. You could get into trouble, and i'd hate that to happen to you.

Do you have your own laptop? If not, I can see why you'd do what you are doing.

I took a risk and went to a college library and looked up some sites that some may find offensive: but, the computers were public. Speaking of being public. Is the computer registered directly to you? If so, you'll need to be more careful.

If you are rally feeling paranoid, use Drive Erase Pro. This can erase any history of whatever you did.

mammi - yes, it's not my computer. I get it. Thanks. I'm not going to delete anything, uninstall or install anything. That would just bring trouble. So the use of Spybot or Hijack is not an option. Cele - yes, any unathorized software or tampering with exiting softward is a no-no. Dark: Yes, if I connect this lap top to the net, they can remotly view anything and everything that is on my computer. Not only can they do this but they DO do this. I also have had my techs work on my desk top from a remote location via our intra-company net. Look, I'm not worried about getting fired. I'm not going to get fired. I just want to know what they know. I just want to know exactly what is installed on my computer that would be able to keep track of what or when I have watched DVDs on the laptop. Of course there is no way I'm going to watch a movie during work hours or while being connected to the inter-company net. That would be just plain stupid. In fact, I am at work now and using my own personal laptop which is connected by wireless to my own personal internet account. Therefore, the "computer police" cannot monitor this activity. Why am I not "working?" you may ask. Don't worry about it, I'm a salaried employee and I get the job done...the job that I'm being paid to do.

OK, I know it's not my computer, it's not technically my computer and I know I should not add or subtract anything from it...and I don't intend to.

However, nobody has been able to tell me is what kind of scan or search I can do using the existing software (like Windows) to detect if there is any record being kept of what DVDs I am watching on the laptop. Also, I don't really appreciate smart aleck, mocking or derisive comments that really don't add anything to the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom