I want to start a computer business.

I'm going to try it. It can't hurt anything to try.

If your not prepared, it can. If YOU fry a component because you mess up, guess who has to pay for it? Some components are not cheap. If you really have the experience that you claim to have, you should know that.

If your charging tax on the item, you need to charge it on labor as well. That also means you need to register the business with the government so they can get the taxes. I don't think Big-brother will allow you to open a business with as many liability issues as a computer repair service.

{Edit} Like mammikoura, I would love to know the kind of problems you have "fixed". I doubt it's anything more than reformatting a computer due to viruses. Question for you, what is a physical sign of a failing motherboard?

I know the answer to that, everything from files
becoming corrupt on the drive, to the drive not appearing in the bios
all together.

I know the answer to that, everything from files
becoming corrupt on the drive, to the drive not appearing in the bios
all together.

Nope. That maybe a good indication of a failing hard drive, but it is not a physical sign (one you can see) of a failing motherboard. The correct answer was buldging or blown capacitors. This also works for video cards as well.

Nope. That maybe a good indication of a failing hard drive, but it is not a physical sign (one you can see) of a failing motherboard. The correct answer was buldging or blown capacitors. This also works for video cards as well.

Well, actually there was one guy that had a failing mother board. That did do that. It was litterally friing the harddrives.

Well, actually there was one guy that had a failing mother board. That did do that. It was litterally friing the harddrives.

yes, it's possible for motherboards to fry drives, but that is not a physical sign, but an electrical problem. and not all motherboards will show the physical signs.

Now if you couldn't even answer my question (your response was an electrical answer, not physical) how do you expect to answer the questions of customers who really don't know more about their computer than how to turn it on?

Also, you can't afford mistakes like the RAM in your other thread. That'll cost you time, money, and a pissed off customer.

yes, it's possible for motherboards to fry drives, but that is not a physical sign, but an electrical problem. and not all motherboards will show the physical signs.

Now if you couldn't even answer my question (your response was an electrical answer, not physical) how do you expect to answer the questions of customers who really don't know more about their computer than how to turn it on?

Also, you can't afford mistakes like the RAM in your other thread. That'll cost you time, money, and a pissed off customer.

did you even read the thread about me opening a business. I'm opening it in my neighbohood. I know pretty much everyone here.

did you even read the thread about me opening a business. I'm opening it in my neighbohood. I know pretty much everyone here.

In this industry, that doesn't mean a thing. People love their comptuers, and hate having to wait for them to be fixed, or mistakes when fixing them. When things go wrong you will be blamed even if you have yet to work on the system. You will get screamed at, customers will threaten you, you will be stressed, no matter where your working out of and who you are working for. If you not comfortable with that, look into a different industry.

In this industry, that doesn't mean a thing. People love their comptuers, and hate having to wait for them to be fixed, or mistakes when fixing them. When things go wrong you will be blamed even if you have yet to work on the system. You will get screamed at, customers will threaten you, you will be stressed, no matter where your working out of and who you are working for. If you not comfortable with that, look into a different industry.

I know what I'm going into. I've had a business before. I'm really getting tired of you turning me down. I don't care if they scream at me. Im ready to handle this. Plus I have some help. The dsitrict manager of the alabama best buy. I already have experience fixing computers. And I can afored it if something goes rong.

Celegorm isnt turning you down, he is just warning you exatcly what it's going to be like. He works in a computer shop now, so he knows.

No offense but from what I gathered in your other threads I don't think your ready to start a business fixing others computers.

Well, what I'm doing is, I charge them for the part. And then the instalation fee is the money I make from it. For instance: The ram that I recomend is $54.99, thats just the part. So then I charge a instalation fee of $10.00, and add tax. Because if I don't charge an instalation fee, I won't make any money off of the deal.

You can't really have a recommended ram, everyone's computer is different(for the most part) and will all take different memory.

Celegorm is not trying to be mean, he's just trying to show you what it looks like from a customers perspective, and a computer professionals perspective. And from what he and others have seen on here your not ready to open up a computer repair business.

My suggestions to you is to spend some time learning about your own computer first. Being active on this site can teach you tons of stuff, and once you master your own computer then you can move on to others computers.

Back
Top Bottom