uTorrent Question

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
Every time I torrent something my connection goes 100% for the torrent, so any computer in my house will no longer get an internet connection. How do I change the amount of bandwidth uTorrent takes when d/ling a torrent? Say like 80% of the bandwidth, so I can have 20% open for web browsing.

right click the torrent. go to bandwidth allocation, and set it to low.
i dont get this problem though

I guess that helped a little. It was set to normal though and if I wasn't using the internet, it would take 100% of the bandwidth and keep it. I started a torrent again just now and if I close out of firefox I will have to pause the torrent and let it sit for a bit before it will restore my internet connection to browse the web again.

Just cap your download and upload rates. Find out what your max is, and then cap it to about 2/3 or so.
Right click the system tray icon and set the download and upload speeds.

I tried that and I still won't let me use the internet, it takes all my connection speed even if it's capped at a low speed... Should I just reinstall uTorrent and see if that helps to reset all the settings to default?

set upload to 0

or not.

Download can be pretty much uncapped and internet should still work fine. Capping the upload is recommended, but you don't need to set it to anything like ½ of the max. My max upload is about 50kB/s and my upload is capped at 43kB/s and everything works fine.

You might want to try lowering the max amount of connections utorrent creates. It's somewhere in the options. I have it at 160 and everything seems to work fine. Just don't put it too low since that might have an effect on your download speeds.

or not.

Download can be pretty much uncapped and internet should still work fine. Capping the upload is recommended, but you don't need to set it to anything like ½ of the max. My max upload is about 50kB/s and my upload is capped at 43kB/s and everything works fine.

You might want to try lowering the max amount of connections utorrent creates. It's somewhere in the options. I have it at 160 and everything seems to work fine. Just don't put it too low since that might have an effect on your download speeds.

I meant as 0kB/s. I didn't realize at the time it could be meant as 0(unlimited).
And yes, I agree with you. Having Max'd out Download speeds will not slow down your internet at all, having max'd upload speed will. My max upload is around 53, but I feel a slow down at 40kB/s.

I meant as 0kB/s. I didn't realize at the time it could be meant as 0(unlimited).

actually I did understand what you mean. But in my opinion one should always seed too. There are a lot of people working hard to bring you torrents of things that you want. And then there is a huge amount of people sharing just so that others can download it with good speeds. The least you can do is share to a ratio of 1. (=upload as much as you download) Kind of a gentleman rule imo.

But yeah, you are right about 0 being unlimited. I didn't realize it yesterday either but uTorrent recognizes 0 as unlimited. :)

Back
Top Bottom