Unable to delete files/folders

BrianS

In Runtime
I have an old laptop hard drive. I pulled it out of my laptop and put a new one in. I bought a enclosure for it so now I have a really small (physically) 200 GB external hard drive. Since this was a windows system drive, there are some folders on it like "WINDOWS" "Program Files" and a 3 that are meaningless to me. they are like "juehvoub32t089bhwr974g." I have no clue what they are.

Anyways I would like to remove all those files/folders but I have some stuff on it that I don't want to remove. So I don't want to format the drive if I don't have to. I have tried deleting the files by simply dragging them to the recycle bin, highlighting them and hitting delete and a a program called "KillBox" that usually can delete anything. But I keep getting errors saying access denied. I have full rights on drive as I was sure to remove the password on my account e before I pulled it out of my laptop.

Is there any other way to delete these files? Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

you have xp pro or media centre? if so go to my documents>tools>folder options>view, and go right to the buttom and untick simple sharing. then right click on each folder (or try highlighting them all, but dont just select the whole drive). then right click, go to sharing and security, and then security, then click advanced, and go to owner, click on administrators (or your user name) and then the replace owner box. if that doesnt work just have a play about in there. that usually works for me. if not i suggest copying all the stuff you want somewhere else for the time being whilst you format the dirve

Back
Top Bottom