FTP Server

Verbatim47

In Runtime
How would I create an FTP server that me and my friends could upload and download files over the internet. I have an old Dell that I would like to do this on. What do I need to do in order to make a file server like this. I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and a fairly fast internet connection. (8mbps)

I am running Windows Server 2003... (hardly know how to use it)

Also I tried WWWFileSharePro but that didn't work through the router, it was only local. Anyone got any suggestions or solutions to what I need to do.

Thanks! :)

I used to use an ftp server program called Serv-U, give it a look. You can create usernames and passwords so that not just anyone can access it, and you can lock users to a certain "home" folder if thats what you want to do.

windows server 2003 by default comes with a web/email/ and ftp server, you will install the program it is called iis. Internet information system, just go to your add/remove programs and you will see it. Once you do that, set up port forwarding which should be in your upnp settings on most routers, once you do that you will use your wan ip address to connect to it using an ftp client.

Hope that helps

I already did the port forwarding ( port 21 ) and then I enabled all the FTP server crap... with the IIS manager, I just don't understand how I can make it available outside the network. I am sharing an entire drive and the address is just f:/ I think...

If anyone has ever done this before please tell me. Thnx...

I also have tried Serv-U but the problem is I could not get it outside the local network. If you have done that please tell.

Most likely your isp blocks port 21 then, My isp blocks port 80, 21, 25, 69 and a slew of many others unless you have a business account. If its not working put port bindings on your ftp for something like 80801 , the do port forwarding for that number. Then in your browser type in wan:80801 and that should work.

The reason why those ports are blocked is most likely because your ISP does not approve in its TOS of setting up your computer as a server of any sort.

In most cases that causes more strain on the connection so they make you pay more for it.

Actually my isp slang around a bunch of stuff to me about viruses being spread :( I use filezilla server though and its very good. I found a website that well offer redirecting of ports www.no-isp.com , 25 dollars a year.

I was in the same spot your in now. For the server I use WAR FTP Daemon and as for the ports I use the 80 port range. Luckily my ISP keeps 80 open. If you don't have a DNS I suggest afraid.org, Thats what I use.

Anyone have any guides for WWWFileSharePro So that I may get that working, I would prefer something that is web based like that program is.

Back
Top Bottom