9800gx2 Looking good!

I reckon actually that external graphics cards for Desktop PC's are not a bad idea at all, if they are maybe in an external caddy like Hard drives.

Think about it, if you had a quad one then, i'd be as simple as stacking them somewhere. At least, they wouldn't be heating up your case, and may even be cooler as a result with a real 120mm fan or something on the external caddys.

will that not increase the latencies between the card and the rest of the pc unless you could still plug it straight into the motherboard through the side or something or maybe just have a separate chamber by the side of the pc

Yeah, I could see cases being made to equip video cards on the sides somehow.

Maybe I should design a case in 3D to accompany this idea :p I never got round to fully designing the last one

Well, its not the only video card with 2 external power connectors for starters. The 8800GTX needs two 12v supplies.

The difference here is, it'll probably be using a smaller circuit design than the GTX before it, so in terms of power, it will of course use up more, but the lower nm design should counteract it.

I agree with the other people when they say this card is a waste of money. As the description says, this card isn't even anything new, it's just two 8800 cards slapped together and given a new name. A new independent card will be released soon enough that will trump that card. The fact that that card probably takes up two slots anyway and apparently has heating issues is not good either. Certainly, nVidia will most likely get the crown for fastest card on the market, but getting it with this sort of card.. what's the point?

Back
Top Bottom