New Hard Drive Coming, Help me fill it!

avgjoe22

Baseband Member
So a friend of mine is giving me a SATA 500 GB Hard Drive, because my 2 hard drives (yes, both of them) are shot.

I have never used 500GB - and probably never will - but here is what I'm thinking:
30 GB – Windows XP
30 GB – Mac OS X Leopard
30 GB – Ubuntu 7.10
15 GB – PCLinuxOS 2.2
15 GB – FreeBSD 7.0
30 GB – Server Space
250 GB – Storage
100 GB – Free Space

Yes, yes, I'm aware that it's impractical to have FIVE operating systems. But the fact is, I get really annoyed when I see something cool and I get "only available for THIS operating system" on the download page.

30 GB of server space - I want to be able to access large files remotely (LiveCDs, Software, Etc. because the school / library computers block major sites and proxies).

250 GB Storage - for whatever, whenever, for however long I need.

100 GB Free Space - Hey, cools stuff comes out all the time, right? Why note have a dummy partition to try new OSs, or enlarge another partition, etc.

Here is what I am asking of the forum:
- Suggestions, Alterations, or Complications, or Errors in my partitions
- Is it possible to use the same Server space from multiple OSs?
- What format should the storage partition be, so that it can be accessed by all the OSs
- Cool ways to use up space!

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments - fire away. I don't get the drive till tuesday, so I'm running from a LiveCD with no hard drive.

Are you trying to do this on a Mac or a PC?
Are you going to try to bootcamp these other OS?
I recommend you divide at least that extra 100gb of Free space amongst the OSs.
If you have a PC, you are going to have to find the drivers for everything, and let me tell you right now, from experience, the ethernet driver for Leopard on PCs is impossible to find.
I have a PC, and installed Leopard on a partitioned drive, and after months of driver hunting, I have no ethernet connection hence no internet.
I recommend you just choose 2 or three, in all honesty, I don't see the need for anything other Leopard XP and Linux.

if you wanted a few os's, id have xp, vista, and ubuntu, then have all your server space, etc.
you dont need more than 1 linux os really, as they all do the same kind of things, unless you get more into it.
id partition them with partition magic then install all the os's or w/e :)

Have you heard of virtualization with products such as VMWare or Virtual PC, as this idea is far better than booting from many different operating systems.

Wow...What a list of OSs!!!

Is the computer you are planning on doing this with a Mac or a PC?

Back
Top Bottom