computer business

shagadelicman1

In Runtime
I am getting more interested in starting a business. I dont want any fancy buildings, but preferably from home. I was thinking Online Storage but there are many of those. I want it to definitely be computer related...

Can you guys help me ponder some businesses i can do from home?

The ones i have are:

-Web hosting
-File Sharing (online storage)
-Business Servers??
-Gaming servers??
??????

All ideas are welcome,

Thanks guys

think quite carefully before you set up a business.

firstly the amount of time you'll have to put into it, and the amount of money as well.

I'm not meaning to piss on your chips or anything, but I'm going to post entierly negative comments.

-Web hosting
-File Sharing (online storage)
-Business Servers??
-Gaming servers??

do you have servers? where will you get servers, what about hosting? can you afford to put the infrastructure in whilst you're waiting for customers? can you provide 24 hour support? are you close enough to a hosting data centre that you can administer the servers if something goes wrong, or will you have to employ the services of the data centre to power cycle machines if they lock up? can you set up a server, do you know anything about the services you're planning to offer and ther servers that run them -if not how will you secure them?
what about backups, do you have any plans for that, you're thinking that you might host busines data, what will you do to secure our users data?

it's not an easy market to break into at all. and it'll keep you very busy.

are you sure this is something that you can do by yourself or will you have to employ additional staff? how will you pay those additional staff whilst you're at the point where it's too much for you to manage by yourself, but there aren't enough funds to employ others?

that said, possibly the easiest home IT business it web space reselling, that way someone else takes care of all the technical details and servers, all you do is buy up lots of space/power and resell it to smaller people.

profit margins in this business are incredibly low.

Hey, starting a business is quite easy. Just put up a website offering what you do--it isn't that expensive to get a template if you do not know how to build--and put yourself out there.

Feel free to look at my site at www.waldorfpc.com to get some ideas. Do not copy any of it it as it is copyrighted: but, just use it for ideas.

All of the service my business offers can be done from home or done by yourself unless you should want to grow. To get you started, I'd suggest reading www.fonerbooks.com There is alot of guides here you will find very useful. Not to mention, this site is full of ideas.

If you want to start your business with very little expense, collect the money up front--three quarters of it--and build the machines. Just to be on the safe side, save all your boxes to parts and receipts, and do not spend any of the left over money until the customer is satisfied. This is just in case of a refund request. The last thing you need is a mad customer because you don't have the money to refund the request. This could mean big trouble.

Another important thing I should let you know, have an account with some money set aside. This serves as a cushion on a rainy day.

Don't be fooled by thinking you'll need a merchant account to accept money. There are a plenty of online payment processors you can use that accept credit cards and checks. Paypal is one of them to start with.

their is not business in this i can grantuee it.

you will make next to nothing, waste of time.

their is so many people who can build computers that noone needs more

The only thing I can say to you in advice would be to ask yourself a question:

"What can I offer, that a corporation or other major developed business can not?"

Perhaps its lower fees, but can you guarantee the same policies that a major corporation would offer? -- Such as at a corporation, if a unit is damaged on accident and we are held liable, then they can do a damage write off because they have the money to do so.

You'll need legal documents to ensure that your not held liable for obscene instances. For example, a customer brings you a machine and its clearly old and been stored improperly. If you don't have them sign a document, and you damage it or it naturally goes, you have a legal matter on your hands.

You'll also need to ensure that you have lots of money.. because as the others mentioned, if someone would like money refunded but you spent their money and don't have the money to refund to them.. another issue.

And finally, what kind of work environment are you going to have? While some people may find it fine to have their system fixed at someone else's home, the likelihood of damage or misplaced paperwork is much greater. If you live with anyone else or have kids, make sure that the work area is locked off to everyone but yourself and those familiar with the way it all works.

Back
Top Bottom