Hard drives and super glue?

johnny13oi

Solid State Member
Hey guys, one of my external hard drives enclosures has broken a little inside. I had to superglue some parts inside together and am letting it cure right now. What I was asking was how long should I let it cure and how long does the super glue out gas? Can the super glue out gassing do any damage to hard drives? I would assume the fumes can enter the hard drive and possibly settle on the platters or the heads or something to ruin the hard drive in the long run. The external hard drive is the Simpletech Pro Duo 1TB hard drive. thanks guys.

Usually takes like a minute for superglue to dry.

I wouldnt recommend superglueing on the platter though.

Yeah I know super glue dries very very quick. But I heard it also out gasses. Meaning that there are fumes that the super glue still gives off even when it is drying (the white stuff you see that is near the dried super glue sometimes). Super glue out gassing is also known to fog up lenses because of the fumes. I am just scared of the fumes getting into the hard drives. Anyone have something like that happen?

An external Hard drive caddy should be removable from the drive itself, which will also be in a protective casing.
I don't know exactly what you've done, but it won't damage it I don't think.

An external Hard drive caddy should be removable from the drive itself, which will also be in a protective casing.
I don't know exactly what you've done, but it won't damage it I don't think.

Yeah I removed the hard drive and am letting the super glue cure on the external hard drive casing. The external hard drive that I have is known to have broken mountings for the hard drive. So I just decided I would open it up and repair the mountings a little so the external hard drive could be more stable. I am just asking if fumes from the super glue will damage the hard drive if I place my hard drive back in the casing.

If it doesn't need to be external, you could stick it inside your computer.

If it doesn't need to be external, you could stick it inside your computer.

Yeah I know but I'd prefer it be external so I can transfer between computers easily. Plus the enclosure can run either RAID 0 or 1 between the two drives inside and has USB and eSATA connections so it's pretty nice.

Yeah I removed the hard drive and am letting the super glue cure on the external hard drive casing. The external hard drive that I have is known to have broken mountings for the hard drive. So I just decided I would open it up and repair the mountings a little so the external hard drive could be more stable. I am just asking if fumes from the super glue will damage the hard drive if I place my hard drive back in the casing.

Could possibly damage the hard drive filter (which isn't too important if you don't move it between temperature extremes, and don't have a massive change in altitude). As for any glue, it cannot pass through the filter.

Never knew there was a filter. Thanks for the info. And I don't think it moves between temperature extremes but I do go through elevation changes when moving I think. I live in Houston but go to Austin for school. Houston is pretty flat but Austin is pretty hilly but I doubt there is much of a difference?

Oh and just to clarify things, the enclosure mountings are the broken ones and the ones with super glue on it. There is no super glue on the hard drives itself.

Back
Top Bottom