Install a Captcha

Davids is windows.

he specifically is missing the GD library.

I don't know the details of the server -i.e whether it's a shared hosting server, a managed or self managed box.

I've seen hosting plans before where this library is not included in the PHP distribution, and it is included on higher hosting plans from the same host.

php graphic generation is reasonably processor intensive.

given the curent problems with white screens, which IMHO seem like a script time out problem I don't see as it's omething that Davids going to rush into implementing, putting additional load onto the server before he's sorted the white screen problem.

also, I don't know whether David has a test server set up anywhere that would let him test this before implementing it. this would cause additional delay between the suggestion time and the implentation time.

assuming that davd has a managed host he may not even have acces to the PHP.ini file to enable this library.

I know that this library does work on windows as i have it running on my own development server.

I'm sure that this is something that David will look into, though I imagine that this is fairly low priority.

Self managed, installing CAPTCHA will hardly do anything to change the load, infact with the lack of spambots, the load would likely decrease.

If a captia is actually installed, please strongly consider what I stated in this thread http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=69083

Harder to implement.

wow that would really help, sadly someone will eventually break it soon enough with some program or hack.

you could simply make a post that if there are any new members they must pm someone and answer questions through them . this is free and just a pain for an exchange of no more spammers.

OK it seems everyone has lost faith in me since this hasn't been implemented within 72 hours of the original post already so here is that stage its at:

The current version of vbulletin has a captcha option but PHP needs to have a gd library. I've been busy the past few days so haven't had time to set it all up which is why it hasn't been implemented yet.

OK it seems everyone has lost faith in me since this hasn't been implemented within 72 hours of the original post already so here is that stage its at:

The current version of vbulletin has a captcha option but PHP needs to have a gd library. I've been busy the past few days so haven't had time to set it all up which is why it hasn't been implemented yet.
72 hours? This has been suggested many times before in many different threads and has been ignored back then.

He has said he intends to do it why don't you just leave it?
This coming from the king of sarcastic comments.

I just made a general statement saying that suggestions usually don't get commented on by David until they draw a lot of attention and are posted several times. Moderators have said that, I bet you've said it if I could look through your 1127 posts.

It's great that David commented on this one. In no way am I trying to make him feel obligated to implement all suggestions; I'm just saying it usually takes him a while to share his opinions on suggestions. :/

Back
Top Bottom