sata ll hard drive and winxp pro compatable?

crippledchicken

Baseband Member
hi, I have a new HP HD computer with windows vista premium 64 bit on it along with the Intel Q6600 Quad processor which doesn't seem to be compatable with much of anything. also, the vista is much slower than my custom built running xppro. i have a second 320 gig hard drive in the HP PC i would like to put xp pro on unhook the sata ll cable going to the vista main drive and, put it on the second drive to run just one drive and install the xp pro on it. my question is will xp pro be compatable with the sata ll hard drive? i have separate disc with sp2 i can add also. Thanks! :)

Thanks very much fellas! my problem is when i unhook the extra drive, the main drive will not boot any more? i guess i need to change something in bios or, maybe format the second drive using command prompt and then be able to remove it and still boot up the main drive if so, i guess i should be able to unhook the main drives sata cable and put it on the second formatted drive and install winxp pro booting from cd since i have the bios setup to boot from cd first. and just run the one drive then is this correct? or am i missing something? :)

Just for clarification here can you confirm that the two HDD's are SATA and the optical drive is ??? SATA ?? IDE??

That's weird that it won't boot, disabling the second drive shouldn't affect the boot drive at all.

hi, not quite sure what you mean by optical drive but, looking inside the two drives do have sata cables for power and data. in bios, the drives are listed as drive 1 drive 2 none then drive 3 so there is no drive listed for#2. also, there is a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500 GT GRAPHICS CARD. could this be causing some type of conflict with xp pro instalation? no matter which grive i try to install to it says inspecting system as usual starts loading drivers then stops on the normal blue screen and says windows has been shut down to protect the system etc. :confused: Thanks!

optical drive is the rom drive (cd, dvd, cd-rw, DVD-rw)

I'm not too sure about your bios as HP usually have a proprietry bios.

You say when you unhook the extra drive the pc won't boot but are you sure you're unhooking the correct drive??

This is really quite perplexing because as I stated earlier unhooking the extra drive shouldn't alter the boot drive.

The graphics card won't be the problem.

This is worrying me

no matter which grive i try to install to it says inspecting system as usual starts loading drivers then stops on the normal blue screen and says windows has been shut down to protect the system etc
You don't usually get this error message unless windows is try to load, can you describe your methodology for installing XP please.

hi, i have tried unhooking one drive, and then the other with same results of no bootup. the dvdburner is also sata. thanks! :)

Can you take pictures of the inside of the case showing the cabling to both the drives and the m/board by any chance?

I just can't see any reason that disconnecting one data cable is causing the pc not to boot, all you're doing is powering down the pc, disconnecting the data and or power cable and restarting and it's not posting??

i don't have a camera but, the way everything is crammed in this tower i can't even see where anything is going to so i dought it would be much help. lol! but yes, if i unhook either drive neither one will boot by itself? in my computer, it shows drive c-d-e but, d is actually a separate partiton on drive c which is the main drive i think it's just a backup of the OS. sure beats me. LOL! :)

Back
Top Bottom