Q6600 on stock heatsink and fan.

Alright weird. I set my Multiplier to 9 and FSB to 355 and voltage to 1.25 but when I look at CPU-Z it says my Multiplier is 6 FSB is 355 and voltage is 1.168

My Current clocks is even lower now lol at 2130.6Mhz.

Anything else I should be doing?

Alright well in orthos it goes up to what it should and I am getting 66C temps. Is there another stress test for all 4 cores(I am using Orthos right now), I am only stressing 2 with orthos.

Unless you use two instances of Orthos and set core affinities then it will only run on two cores, it might be easier if you use Prime95, get the latest version 25.5 or 25.6 iirc, this has been optimised for quad core cpus and will 100% load all four cores when you run the Torture Test.

EDIT:

Alright weird. I set my Multiplier to 9 and FSB to 355 and voltage to 1.25 but when I look at CPU-Z it says my Multiplier is 6 FSB is 355 and voltage is 1.168

My Current clocks is even lower now lol at 2130.6Mhz.

Anything else I should be doing?
This is normal, it is Intel Speed Step, as I explained in the other thread.

Rubbish, it's there, I wish I had mine running, I'll dig out the manual.

It is speedstep, pure and simple.

EDIT: Just remembered that when you have Jumper free set to manual the speed step option disappears from the cpu configuration tab (iirc, working from memory again, :))

Look, there is vdrop, difference between bios and windows idle and there is vdroop, difference between windows idle and windows load, that is why your voltage readings are what they are, the voltage damper on the P5K vanilla doesn't work so you get vdroop. Your cpu will hit your oc speeds when required and drop back when idle, THIS IS SPEED STEP AND IT IS A GOOD THING, mkay, you understand now, if not ask the question in your thread and I'll reply there?

Alright well in orthos it goes up to what it should and I am getting 66C temps. Is there another stress test for all 4 cores(I am using Orthos right now), I am only stressing 2 with orthos.
Keep an eye on those temps if and when you get Prime95 running, anything 70°C or over stop the test immediately.

The upper thermal limit for a Q6600 G0 is 71°C

EDIT: Thought of something, you say your temp is 66°C, what are you reading it with?? Don't use the Asus software (Ai Suite or PC Probe II, use Coretemp)

Here's how I oc'd on my P5K

-----> WARNING: I do not recommend you going any higher than 3.0GHz without a quality aftermarket cooler <-----.

ocingtn1.jpg

Temps hit 70C on core 1 and 2 but not over. This was at 3Ghz. Should I reduce the OC or is that OK? I used both core temp and PC Wizard 2008 to measure temps.

Unless you use two instances of Orthos and set core affinities then it will only run on two cores, it might be easier if you use Prime95, get the latest version 25.5 or 25.6 iirc, this has been optimised for quad core cpus and will 100% load all four cores when you run the Torture Test.

EDIT:

This is normal, it is Intel Speed Step, as I explained in the other thread.

Keep an eye on those temps if and when you get Prime95 running, anything 70°C or over stop the test immediately.

The upper thermal limit for a Q6600 G0 is 71°C

EDIT: Thought of something, you say your temp is 66°C, what are you reading it with?? Don't use the Asus software (Ai Suite or PC Probe II, use Coretemp)

Here's how I oc'd on my P5K

-----> WARNING: I do not recommend you going any higher than 3.0GHz without a quality aftermarket cooler <-----.

ocingtn1.jpg
That's borderline. Don't go any higher.

Temps hit 70C on core 1 and 2 but not over. This was at 3Ghz. Should I reduce the OC or is that OK? I used both core temp and PC Wizard 2008 to measure temps.
No, that is too hot imo. you need better case cooling/airflow if you wish to continue on a stock cooler. The best bet would be to get an aftermarket cooler if you wish to hold that overclock or go higher.

is there an 8x multiplier version of that chart
Only the bottom line for 3.6GHz mate, sorry, I didn't have the P5K running long enough to compile an 8x chart. The P5K will see service again soon though as I'm still hoping to get a new cpu (Q9550 or E8400) for this P5E3 and chuck this Q6600 back in the P5K, video card is going to be the hardest, I have to sneak that money out without the Mrs noticing. :eek:

Why don't you upgrade your video card instead of a new CPU? That's the weakest part of your PC ATM imo.

I'm waiting for the 98XX series before upgrading my pc, I was going to buy a cheap 8800GT for the other (P5K) pc in the mean time.

At present my P5K is sitting in a case with with 4GB of ram, a WD Raptor, Zalman 9700 etc just waiting for a cpu and video card, so an upgrade for the cpu and a new video card is required. It's driving me nutty having it sitting there not running so I'm getting to the stage of "throwing caution to the wind" and risking the wrath of "her we ignore at our own peril" (the Mrs) and just buying the bloody parts, trouble is I've been waiting to see what the pricing of the 45nm cpus (Q9XXX and E8XXX) is like and the release of the 98XX series videos cards (for the same reason)

Alright well this new prime 95 with 4 cores runs all at 100% and after 3 hours I am getting 66C average and highest it hit was 70C but that went away very fast and then I never seen it hit higher than 69C yet. But currently it is running at 68C and doesn't seem to fluctuate too much. I will leave prime 95 on all night and see if I get any errors and see what temps are like in morning.

EDIT: This is running it at 3Ghz

Back
Top Bottom