New Mobo?

juicedupchaos

Baseband Member
I want to get a new motherboard but the ram it takes is DDR2 800 and my ram i got now is 667, I was just wondering if that matter...I got a little more then 5gigs of ram, thats way i dont want to just get ride of them lol...

Yeah, that's fine. THe ram you have is only one step down in speed from the 800, the new motherboard should clock itself down.

It shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you set up the 5gb correctly so it will run in dual channel. Not sure how many sticks you have, but if it's 2 2gb and 2 512mb it would be slot1 2gb, slot2 512mb, slot3 2gb, slot4 512mb.

Example: If you have two yellow coloured DIMMs and two green. Put the two 2GB sticks in the yellow slots and the two 512MB sticks in the green slots.

Nope. If the motherboard dual channel operation, having all four slots full will run in dual channel.

I believe the correct installation would be to have the 2GB modules in say DIMM1 and 3 and the 512MB modules in DIMM2 and 4.

Yes 1 & 3 and 2 & 4.
I was talking about my P5K:
162.jpg

Look at the colour coding.

Got ya, mines different. Still 1&3, 2&4 - but 1/2 and 3/4 are the same color on mine.... doesn't really make sense.

I know what ya mean cwharms. My motherboards have the same coloring scheme as yours. Kinda goofy if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom