Install a Captcha

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
This has been covered many times I know but nothing has been done about it. The registration form here at CF doesn't have a captcha. It won't block out all bots but it'll definitely help and should decrease the level of spam here, therefore potentially reducing the workload of the moderators in the process.

From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
A CAPTCHA (IPA: /ˈkæptʃə/) is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether the user is human. The process involves one computer (a server) asking a user to complete a simple test which the computer is able to generate and grade. Because other computers are unable to solve the CAPTCHA, any user entering a correct solution is presumed to be human. A common type of CAPTCHA requires that the user type the letters of a distorted image, sometimes with the addition of an obscured sequence of letters or digits that appears on the screen.

The term "CAPTCHA" was coined in 2000 by Luis von Ahn, Manuel Blum, Nicholas J. Hopper (all of Carnegie Mellon University), and John Langford (then of IBM). It is a contrived acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart", trademarked by Carnegie Mellon University.

A CAPTCHA is sometimes described as a reverse Turing test, because it is administered by a machine and targeted to a human, in contrast to the standard Turing test that is typically administered by a human and targeted to a machine.

Currently, reCAPTCHA is recommended as the official CAPTCHA implementation by the original CAPTCHA creators.

I know for a fact that all 3.x versions of vBulletin (aswell as earlier I'd imagine) have an option in the Admin CP to enable a CAPTCHA. Said option only takes about 2 seconds to enable since you just check a box and hit submit. It's an easy procedure and would genuinely reduce the level of spam around these forums. I don't see why it wasn't enabled from the beginning.

Seriously...this is just something that NEEDS to be done. Any good forum online has one, it's basically a requirement for a big forum.

you should just send this as a PM to David and Im sure without a doubt he would look into including one. No need for us to vote.

Yeah, apparently thats the only Operating system it works under

Even in staff lounge. He said something about it having to do with us not running on a linux server.

Hmm

Yeah, apparently thats the only Operating system it works under

I'm not quite sure I believe that.

Now I don't know much about server operating systems and such, its all about the programming. The Capcha is built into the VB software which then runs on the server.

The server operating system really shouldnt limit how the software works.

Back
Top Bottom