Bad Cable?

kocheez75

In Runtime
I have two DVD drives (A & B) For some reason, my computer won't recognize a secondary disk Drive when linked with the IDE cable. If the cable is plugged into just one of the drives (A or B), the computer will recognize it as the primary drive. If I have them both plugged in (A-B or B-A) it won't recognize the secondary drive, regardless of what drive it is. Since they both work by themselves, do you think the problem is in the cable, bios, or firmware? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, sounds to me like a jumper issue. You didn't mention changing the jumper settings when you said you hooked each up separately and they worked. The primary drive has to have the jumper set as primary and plugged into the cable connector at the very end of the cable, then the secondary drive has to have the jumper set as slave and connected to the other connector on the cable. The jumper settings should be written right on the drive.

Thanks guys, windows recognized it right away. It shouldn't be a problem that my slave drive is plugged in above my master drive should it?

Back
Top Bottom