External HD unassemble and install

kocheez75

In Runtime
I have a Western Digital external HD, and was wondering if it would be difficult at all to take it apart and install the HD inside the computer case?

Shouldn't be hard at all. Once you get the case opened up, you should be able to see how the hard drive is mounted in there and take it out. Then it's just a matter of installing it in your case and hooking it up. As long as it's a regular 3.5in drive it will fit in any pc case, if it's a smaller 2.5in laptop drive, it won't.

Will windows recognize the drive and it's contents once it's plugged in (via sata), or will I need to install device drivers?

I've never installed a second hard drive. Since windows is installed, will it work just like a plug and play device once I connect it via SATA? Will I need to format it or install drivers for windows to recognize it? Is there any configurations I need to do in order to have two hard drives? I plan to use the current HD for the OS, and just use this for files.

No, you shouldn't have to do anything else, as long as the drive is already formatted windows will recognize it automatically.

Back
Top Bottom