Windows 7

Anyone heard of it and know anything about it??

Other than the minwin kernel, (which is only 25mb which is amazing compared to vista), not much is known. Hopefully this small kernel will reduce the 'bloated' feeling the windows operating systems are leaning towards. I personally feel like vista is bloated a lot, (but i do like it more than XP).

They are also integrating gadgets into windows explorer and throughout windows in general. Windows 7's install process is suppose to be also cut down to 10 minutes. I guess Microsoft thinks this will make people more willing to switch.

A quote from Hilton Locke of the Tablet PC division of Microsoft:

Hilton Locke said:
I will say that if you are impressed by the "touch features" in the iPhone, you'll be blown away by what's coming in Windows 7.

Hints at that perhaps windows 7 will incorporate touch features into windows 7. However I am not a big fan of having to lean up to my monitor and press something in order to control an enviroment on my computer. But perhaps they had other input methods in mind other than touch, (voice recognition ubiquity?), when issuing that statement.

The gui probably won't be radically changed too much, and will on the surface probably share a lot of graphical similarities with Vista.

EDIT: The release date is also suppose to be late 2009

I'll input on touch screen monitors since I use them everyday at work.

There a nice feature and I actually only use the touch screen these days as there is also a pull out tray with a keyboard and mouse at the terminals.

After getting used to them I can now type almost as fast on a touch screen monitor with the virtual keyboard window as I can on a regular keyboard. There is really no need for a mouse since you can just click everything with your fingers. Problem is not everyone has smaller fingers so the standard monitor size should be around 30" before they implement it so they can have larger icon's.

Dragging around and highlighting things can be a pain at times. If they come up with a slicker screen interface that allows your hand to glide across the screen easier that would be nice.

Now my only real complaint about touch screen interface. If you happen to have any type of dew, dirt, water on your hands and get it on the screen it scrambles the interface. IE if I've just washed my hands and there not completely dry it leaves a little water on the screen. When that happens and you try and touch something on the screen it still thinks your finger is pressed were the water mark is.

I like Joga's idea of a stylus though. That would make things so much easier. In which case we would want displays that could do extreme tilting. Writing at 90 degrees would be a bit of a pain. I love the stylus for my phone and use it more than my finger but its also flat when I'm using it.

I personally like mice and keyboards for input into a computer rather than a touch screen. For general use of a desktop PC, touch screens just aren't practical. They are good for the right purpose. We have touch screen registers at the fast food place I work at, it's practical for that. For general use, I like my monitor a ways away from me, so out of immediate reach if I want to use it for a touch screen... Plus all the smudges you have to clean off the screen. Needless to say, if Windows 7 has a touch screen feature, I won't be using it.

Depending when it comes out, I might just go straight from XP to 7 and skip Vista... Vista still costs too much for me. Windows 7 sounds like to will be so much better losing all the weight of the older setup MS has been using w/ all it's OSes so far.

Windows 7 is formerly known as Blackcomb and Vienna. Vienna is the next major version of Microsoft Windows as the successor of Windows Vista. Windows Vienna may include features that were dropped from Vista such as the new file system. Additional new features may include a dramatically new UI and other new features from the Microsoft Development labs, such as GroupBar and LayoutBar. Security will also be enhanced with applications and external access being placed in a secure sandbox that prevents any effects (i.e. damage or viruses) to other applications and the OS itself.

Security really is not bad at all in Vista.

As for the new file system i assume you talking about WinFS. WinFS is dead, the project was killed off. Look for the blog on Microsofts website. They don't exactly say that its dead, but they say the project is no longer being pursued by Microsoft and that some features will be absolved into future OS possibly. In other words, its dead and we'll never see any of the things we hoped to see such as reading an e-mail where someone references a file located on your network and outlook automatically recognizes this and if you click the name of the referenced file it opens on your desktop without ever having to attach it.

They'll probably stick with the basic aero look from vista. I doubt too much of a variation their.

Even if something like groupbar comes with windows 7 it would be fairly unimpressive. It's a good idea but its usefullness (is that a word?) is fairly limited. It really would not drastically change my computing experience. I've used it, not all that great.

"The version after Vista is a big step forward in terms of speech," Gates said in an interview following a speech at Stanford University. "It's a big step forward in terms of ink. It's a big step forward in terms of touch."

There is a direct hint that their working on something related to speech.

Back
Top Bottom