fps = bad

elrodd

Solid State Member
k so i have a comp...4gb OCZ pc6400 RAM, asus 650sli p5n-e motherboard, evga geforce 8800gt, dual core 2.3 ghz processor.....i get shit fps compared to my buddy with 7900 geforce, 1gb of ram and 1.8ghz dual core....he has xp pro i have vista premium 64-bit....my hardware pases all the tests i throw at it, but i can't understand why i get about half the fps he does in everything....could i have a bunk v-card just scrounging by enough to pass stress tests? or is vista really that awful? all my drivers are up to date and i ran n-tune which put my v-card to 2850 mhz i belive and my ram runs at 800mhz and 2.1v

please help this thing has been a nightmare

Wow, after logging in 4 times in a row to post :p

I saw install vista. I'm quite curious myslef as to this issue. It would be quite interesting if it was vista doing this though lol. I know it has more system requirements than XP but not that much lol.

also, with n-tune, i can't open the monitor for the performance or whatever. tried re-installing it but no dice. i.e on the fps, on WoW in stormwind(busy city) i get around 40-60 fps and my buddy gets around 120-150....i run everything at high as does he, but i run at 1680 x 1050 res. and i think he runs it smaller

Well first thing ditch N tunes. That program is full of bugs and can really screw up your system. Uninstall it and install Riva Tuner to begin with. Also make sure you've downloaded the latest 169.25 drivers from Nvidia.

Now if he is running everything at high on a lower resolution and your expecting the same frames running 1680X1050 its not going to happen. The higher your resolution the more strain on the GPU. Find out what he's running at and post back. Your going to lose fps the higher you go on the resolution.

ok so what SHOULD i run at with my setup? i have a 22" widescreen montior
also, what's the word on 64-bit vista? i don't really notice anything special, but it sounded cool lol

ok so what SHOULD i run at with my setup? i have a 22" widescreen montior
also, what's the word on 64-bit vista? i don't really notice anything special, but it sounded cool lol

A simple answer to setting up detail would be whatever comes close to your native resolution with the highest possible graphic settings that yield 40+ FPS.

30+ is fine but 40 is better IMO. Most games have in house benchmarking and if they don't download Fraps and run a custom time bench. You should be able to run pretty much everything cranked excluding some new games IE Crysis, World in Conflict and Lost Planet. I'm sure there are probably other new titles that will grind it down at ultra detail but those are the only ones I have I can't just click everything to max and run 1680X1050.

Just play with settings until you have what you think is the best looking setup for you.

As far as 64Bit Vista. I use Vista Ultimate 64Bit and have had really no issues with it. Aside from a few 32bit apps that don't work everything else has been pretty smooth. Honestly right now nothing is really taking full advantage of 64bit but give it time.

I recommend running a XP/Vista dual boot though. That way if you run into any compatibility issues you can just launch it from XP. You probably won't but its a comfort thing for me I guess. I just can't format over XP even though I rarely use it anymore.

does he have the same kind of monitor? ....is his resolution lower than yours? because that would be the answer....because 1680x1050 is a fairly high resolution, but if hes running on like 1280x1024 res, hes got no problems, 1280x1024 is barely a strain on my 6600LE (8800GTS comes in the mail today! :D)

his resolution is probably lower and also is it a 7900 or 7950? if its the 50 its dual gpu and good but still not as good as yours.also make sure you psu is capable 4 gb of RAM a 8800 gt and a 2.3 is some serious strain on the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom