Bandwith Tracking

jar5173

Baseband Member
I go to school at Penn State University, and in the dorms, they have something that tracks the amount of bandwith you can use. You are allowed to use up to 2gb per week, but if you use 60% of this amount they shut your internet speed down to 56k. At that point, you can't use the internet because it takes hours to load a page, and by that time any page you would try to load times out. So I have a little bit more than 1gb per week.

Is there anything I can do/get to prevent them from tracking how much of the bandwith I am using, or some way to make it look like I am using less than I actually am. I personally don't know much about the concept of bandwith, but if you haven't had this problem, you couldn't imagine how annoying it is to have your internet practically shut off for the last couple days of every week.

Thanks a ton in advance.

What are you doing that requires so much bandwidth? Cause if you are torrenting or something, I really wouldnt recommend that in a college dorm...

Why wouldn't you recommend doing that in a dorm? Honestly, I have over 60,000 songs on my ext. harddrive alone, and I download albums with torrents, and also through iTunes. I just need some way to keep them from turning my fairly quick Ethernet into an embarassing 56k.

Back
Top Bottom