Outlook and hotels? STMP?

cnl83

Baseband Member
Say your pop is pop.urmail.com and your smtp is smtp.urISP.com......if you went to a hotel your smtp changes. Is there a universal smtp server to use, or what is a good solution to this problem besides webmail?

Say your pop is pop.urmail.com and your smtp is smtp.urISP.com......if you went to a hotel your smtp changes. Is there a universal smtp server to use, or what is a good solution to this problem besides webmail?

In this case, use your email providers SMTP server instead of your ISP's SMTP server.

for changing location your incoming mail server will stay the same, the outgoing mail server need to change to be the one that hotels ISP is, so lets sat you have DSL at your house and you use milwaukeepc (just saying that since i work there) and their outgoing mail server is mail.milwpc.com, and the ISP at the hotel is roadrunner, you would need to change it to smtp.roadrunner.com (not sure if that is correct outgoing mail server for Roadrunner) but that is all you need to change

not sure if they way dj-chris said would work, but knowing him, it would probably work, its just that i do it the other way since i work at a ISP company and we have email services

I assume that your ISP is your email provider in this case.

the best solution is to use webmail unfortunatly, if they won't allow connections to to their SMTP server other than IP's recognised as being on their network served to their customers then you're kind of stuffed...

you could try to find an open relay to send from.

more practically, you might do better to setup a local SMTP server on your computer (laptop?) and point your outgoing mail to your computer which then be in charge of sending the mail.

in reality this is a bit of a flaky solution, some of youor email will be marked as spam since they'll come from your SMTP server rather than your ISPs, so anyone doing a reverse lookup will say that you can't relay because you're spoofing the address of your mail server.
(which you would be).

i.e.

currently you send your emails (name@isp.com) to

smtp.isp.com as your smtp server.

this then send out mail to the recipient.
recipient checks that name@isp.com has actually come from the ISP.com smtp server.

if you can't relay through your smtp.isp.com server whilst you're not connected to their connection. then you can set up your own mail server.

now your emails say
name@isp.com
but they come from smtp.otherisp.com

and some people will block these as spam.

not all people will. depends how the administrators have set this up.

Thanks for the reply guys, I figured that was answer to my question, but I was hoping some new solution has been provided of late.

Back
Top Bottom