DSL Modem

MadSlaveGarden

Baseband Member
I got DSL now and it's garbage for games. I keep getting kicked for high ping. SBC sent me the Siemens Speedstream 4100 DSL modem and I really think that's the problem. Should I spend $10 on ebay for a used Speedstream 5100 or does anyone know any fast DSL modems. Or am I just screwed. Thanks

DO NOT GET A ALCATEL, for one they are no longer produced, and they are shit, there is a hole in the firmware, and at my work which is Milwaukee PC, i work in the DSL depeartment and about one in every four we need to replace, i would recommend getting a Zoom x6 those are good and very reliable, and they are a modem and wireless router in one, they are kinda expensive around 60 plus bucks

Does the dsl modem have a lot to do with high pings? Or is it more your service provider? I have the speedstream 4200 and I get high pings but I also get to within a couple hundred kbps of the advertised speed so I feel it's pretty fast.

I'm not sure what it is, some days It comes In great low ping and everything is running smoothly as other days it's terrible seems like I have Dial up keeps dropping the internet, so then I shut off my modem and let it cool off and then it seems fine.
Is this the zoom x6 you're talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/5590-00-03-Zoom...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem
($13 for shipping)
Yeah Id definitely buy it for $60 but I think that's a router not a modem.

DO NOT GET A ALCATEL, for one they are no longer produced, and they are shit, there is a hole in the firmware, and at my work which is Milwaukee PC, i work in the DSL depeartment and about one in every four we need to replace, i would recommend getting a Zoom x6 those are good and very reliable, and they are a modem and wireless router in one, they are kinda expensive around 60 plus bucks

Ive owned one, their not crap, their actual one of the best rated out their kid.

dont give me that crap.

I'm not sure what it is, some days It comes In great low ping and everything is running smoothly as other days it's terrible seems like I have Dial up keeps dropping the internet, so then I shut off my modem and let it cool off and then it seems fine.
Is this the zoom x6 you're talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/5590-00-03-Zoom...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem
($13 for shipping)
Yeah Id definitely buy it for $60 but I think that's a router not a modem.

If your on Virgin telewest the problem is not you!

If you have just paid the bill and your internet cut of its not you its your provider.

Thats only if your late paying the bill as its a bad downstream problem for a few days.

If your on Virgin telewest the problem is not you!

If you have just paid the bill and your internet cut of its not you its your provider.

Thats only if your late paying the bill as its a bad downstream problem for a few days.
Naw the bill is getting paid and I'm using SBC. I still think it's the modem, do the service providers rig these things or something?

Naw the bill is getting paid and I'm using SBC. I still think it's the modem, do the service providers rig these things or something?

I would of thought so yes

I have a WEBSTAR, Which is the best modem for telewest as so many staff has told me, I ask everytime I phone up lol, but yes, I thing they do and some have firewalls installed.

Also your problem could be WINDOWS XP, Windows xp has Max TCP Connections, well to make your INTERNET 20X FASTER YOU NEED A TOOLD THAT WILL ACCEPT MORE CONNECTIONS!

I can't remember where I found it but i was on google trying to tweak my torrents and I come accross some instructions and it had a .bat file to download, i downaloded it make my tcp ports to 65 which is fast as fuck.

ummm try this, shit hot internet tweak:

http://p2p.weblogsinc.com/2005/04/2...ur-router-to-allow-fast-bittorrent-downloads/

Back
Top Bottom