I got a Trojan

phew... glad to know that it was more than likely a glitch on AVG's part.

I downloaded Avast, and I am going to try that later on tonight.

Also, does anyone know of an anti-virus that can boot from a CD/DVD or a USB Flash Drive? I was told something like this could have more success in getting rid of the virus.

Just run Ubuntu off a cd and install an antivirus on a separate partition. It will have the same effect as running an antivirus without booting up windows at all first.

I used to like AVG, however it has failed me many times. I no longer recommend it to clients or friends. I do recommend Avast as a free virus removal. I love that program. I have had nothing but good things happen with that program. Try running Avast. Get rid of whatever viruses come up, and then reboot. If the same problem persists, then I'd say go to reformatting the hard drive. I pray that you have the recovery disks still.

Avast did not remove the virus. I was pretty sure it was going to, because of the scan on boot feature.

So, after wasting my time with anti-virus scans, I decided to do a full system restore/ reformat. Worked like a charm. This time, instead of using Vista Premium, which was originally installed on the PC, I used an Ultimate upgrade disk I had, so now I'm running Vista Ultimate, which is awesome.

So, this has pretty much been solved. I plan on installing these programs in the near future. AVG, Avast, Spybot, Ad-Aware and HijackThis. Any opinions on that security suite? AVG will only be for general scans, Avast as the main/ resident scanner, Ad-Aware and Spybot for what else but spyware and adware scans, and HijackThis as a last resort.

One thing I hate about full restores... Installing the updates and drivers are a total pain in the ass.

Back
Top Bottom