Buying a new laptop

Yesterday, my mom told me I could buy a laptop (maybe) depending on price. I want something good though. Like:

refer to edit for specs and purchasing options

I'm going to be using this for:
-Programming (C++, C#, Torque, OpenGL, DirectX [why I want vista])
-Mild gaming
-Linux (possibility)
-School

EDIT:
-My dad will purchase online now only at namebrand stores and other retailers he likes (Dell, HP, BestBuy)

New Specs are:
~15.4" @ 1440x900 or better (He's been very strict about this for some reason)
~2GB+ of RAM
~120GB+ of HDD (5400rpm/7200rpm)
~2.0GHz+ Core 2 Duo
~8xxx Graphics Cards, nVidia of cousre.
~Vista (Home premium 32bit preferably as it's cheaper)

My question now is: There are a lot of battery options. Does it really matter which one I pick 6 cell vs. 9 cell? Also, is a laptop at these specs relatively good? I know it can't compare with a desktop at price, but is this going to last me a decent amount of time, especially as gaming will decrease the closer to college I get? Any other comment's greatly appreciated.

Also, if I can't fit all that I want into this price range, what can I get rid of? Will the processor speed affect me that much for what I want to do/will 1.6~1.8 fit me? By the way, I currently am on a P4 at 2.8GHz. How faster of a processor will a Core 2 Duo 1.6 to 2.4 be?

I'm currently trying to increase my budget lol. I was at $1000 and I got it up to $1200 shipped. Trying to get it up to $1300-1400.
I'm looking at US$1200 tops.
Thanks in advance.

ibuypower.com

were i got mine from, what ur looking for is gona be round 1200 - 1400.

just got put up with customer service and long ship times, other than that, there alright

they are online, but u can buy pre built lappys at walmart and cosco and such

check there website

See. I just need the space for 4gb of ram. I'll upgrade it myself. Also I want a decent processor 1.8-2. but no less. higher if possible.

12 to 14 hundred is standard for what you're looking for.

I hate buying computers from retailers such as Best Buy and the like. Custom is the best way to go. You won't find all that stuff on there such as demos and advertisements asking you to purchase. Not to mention, you'll have full control of what you want.

The computer I own right now is practically third hand. It is a very decent computer. It works well. It just needs to be reformatted because my last friend who owned it knew nothing about computers and did not protect it. That is all that is wrong. It still works right now, as I'm on it. It just studders and runs slow in some applications. It also boots at a snail's pace. I'm just waiting for the recovery disks to be sent, then I'll go to town.

Other than that, it is completely durable. It is an HP. After it craps out, I will be building my own computer the way I like it. I didn't turn this down because it was free. I mean, who would, especially when there is great potential.

See my sig for details for custom computer builds.

He just said he doesn't want to shop online.

Go look at the HP series of notebooks. Though you won't find that sort of notebook in the price range you're asking for, the HP will come pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom