Power supply molex plugs

jashan17

In Runtime
some molex plugs are split, does this mean that the power is split between the two? i noticed when i connected the fans between the two, the speed is slower i think.

some molex plugs are split, does this mean that the power is split between the two? i noticed when i connected the fans between the two, the speed is slower i think.

the way they've been split means that the voltage is the same on each one (unless you have something drawing tonnes of power from the one in the middle!) - and considering that fans take 0.1-0.5 amperes from around 10-35 that are available from most PSU's you wouldn't really notice any difference :)

This could explain why one of my hard drives didn't always work when I was using a split plug to power 2 hard drives on my old computer. Learn something new everyday.

Ummmmmm, I'm confused now, jashan17 could you be a little more specific with your description of "split"

I was thinking of red & black wires v yellow & black wires.

Red & black is 7v while yellow and black is 12v (iirc, probably need to check that)

If however you're talking about a one to two splitter e.g. two four pin plugs fully wired then no there shouldn't be any difference in the voltage delivered as Bryn has explained.

Ummmmmm, I'm confused now, jashan17 could you be a little more specific with your description of "split"

I was thinking of red & black wires v yellow & black wires.

Red & black is 7v while yellow and black is 12v (iirc, probably need to check that)

If however you're talking about a one to two splitter e.g. two four pin plugs fully wired then no there shouldn't be any difference in the voltage delivered as Bryn has explained.

if it is just two four pin connectors they will be the same voltage, the only drop at each split is current but that will disperse evenly

Yeah i think its the same. Didnt realize that i have multiple diffferent fans that could be at different speeds.

The red is 5 volts and the yellow is 12 volts, true folder. If you jump across the red and yellow you get 6 or 7 volts but it will stall most fans if the voltage droops any.
As for the fans different models run at different rpm's at the same voltage.

My power supply has a green casing around the wires, but i think i can probably see the colors inside the mesh coating. Im at school right now. By the way i have a 680 watt apevia iceberg.

Back
Top Bottom