I got a Trojan

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Well, after my recent thread on my CPU running at 50% constantly, I decided to really step up on my virus scans. As you may recall, I was referred to a program called Process Explorer. I got to playing around with that program and found a "sub-process" linked to explorer.exe that was using up this 50% CPU power. I could not seem to find a solution, but every time when I logged on, I suspended that sub-process and my CPU would return to normal.

Well, just now I ran AVG, which found a "Trojan Horse Generic9" virus. After it found this, I was pretty confident that this is what was causing the problem, but after I restarted my computer to finish the removal, sure enough the problem was back. AVG failed to remove the virus.

So, what are my choices here? A reformat is out of the option, so don't even suggest it. Are there any specific removers for this type of Trojan? Or what about other virus scanners such as Avast or NOD32, would they have the power to fix this?

Ok, I did that, and it didn't find the virus but it did say there was an error in the disk boot sector.......... That is really scary, because if that goes, basically the entire hard drive is f**ked. Why it didn't find the virus, I have no clue, but I hope it doesn't f**k things up..

What are my options (other than reformat). I know a reformat would be the easiest and the safest way of getting rid of it, but who says the boot sector isn't permanently damaged? I could get NOD32 or Avast and try that out, but I don't have the time for that tonight.

Ok, I did that, and it didn't find the virus but it did say there was an error in the disk boot sector.......... That is really scary, because if that goes, basically the entire hard drive is f**ked. Why it didn't find the virus, I have no clue, but I hope it doesn't f**k things up..

What are my options (other than reformat). I know a reformat would be the easiest and the safest way of getting rid of it, but who says the boot sector isn't permanently damaged? I could get NOD32 or Avast and try that out, but I don't have the time for that tonight.

Thats definitely not a good sign. Don't get too scared though yet. I think the only way to get a boot sector virus is by an infected floppy. Like if a computer boots up, boots up from floppy, computer becomes infected, user then removes error after seeing 'Non bootable disk in drive' or something similar, then takes it out and boots windows suspecting nothing

I do not believe their is another way to get a boot sector virus, maybe from a cd that your computer tries to boot from.

Anyways you happen to be in luck because this particular error is a known glitch with AVG's software. I do not think the problem was ever resolved in the free version. Run a different virus scanner and see if you get a similar error. If not you know the glitch has just remained unresolved. The majority of times an error in your boot disk would prevent your computer from booting in the first place. So this is more likely. Their was an old post on the AVG forums and for the free version it seems the glitch went unsolved:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,52745,backpage=,sv=

[offtopic]Boot sector viruses are really cool, and they were transmitted a lot faster when floppies were more prevalent. Because if someone had a boot sector virus, then whatever floppy they wrote with that computer would then get the boot sector virus, so the number of infected computers could easily grow exponentially.[/offtopic]

EDIT: You do still have a stubborn virus but that boot disk error is most likely a glitch and not the virus. If you google the name of the virus you find that AVG cannot remove the virus, and several threads on several forums about AVG specifically not being able to get rid of it have been made. Some have been successful with the 1 month trial of Kapersky, some used Avast, and some used TrendMicro. For some reason AVG cannot remove that virus. So definitely try a different scanner, the more likely you are to get it. Also make sure you only have one installed at a time b/c many virus scanners conflict with one another.

It is a coincidence that you post this.
Just yesterday I downloaded AVG Free and it found generic7 and generic 9 trojans on my computer. I wasn't having any problems but it did find them and move them to the vault.

phew... glad to know that it was more than likely a glitch on AVG's part.

I downloaded Avast, and I am going to try that later on tonight.

Also, does anyone know of an anti-virus that can boot from a CD/DVD or a USB Flash Drive? I was told something like this could have more success in getting rid of the virus.

Back
Top Bottom