Using router as a Hub, i think??

shagadelicman1

In Runtime
Ok lets go over my set up:

-108G Dlink Wireless Gaming Router (gigabit)
-1 Hardwired PC (connected to WAN on router)
-Multiple wireless computers (irrelevant lol)
-And a not yet hooked up Linksys Etherfast/DSL 8 port wired router

My Situation:

Im in the back of the house and want to run a single Cat5 Cable from my Dlink Router to my Room. I have multiple devices in my room and have a single cable. I have my linksys wired router (doesnt have gigabit) but 8 ports. Can i use my Linksys router as a splitter from my single cat5 to be available to the 8 ports???

Would my bandwith suffer from splitting it??

Would it be better to run multiple cat5 cables directly from my DLink to my room??

I need help
Thanks guys

I don't think the bandwidth would suffer. They run that at my school just fine. Just wait till DJ Chris shows up lol. he's expert at networking stuff.

haha ya i noticed hes quite the expert. hmm cause some people told me about configuring DHCP or something, but im not sure

Yes, your router has a built in 4 port switch, which you can use without using the routing features. You just need to turn off DHCP inside the router. And yes, you will share the bandwidth between the two computers, however this isn't a big issue.

Yes, your router has a built in 4 port switch, which you can use without using the routing features. You just need to turn off DHCP inside the router. And yes, you will share the bandwidth between the two computers, however this isn't a big issue.

Really? That's interesting. At our school it doesn't seem to be any slower. Sorry about the wrong info dude.

Really? That's interesting. At our school it doesn't seem to be any slower. Sorry about the wrong info dude.
well, theres one phone line, so 1 internet connection. no matter how many routers or w/e on the network they will all share the connection. thats why for example if you have a 4mb connection, and 4 computers online at 1 time the speed/bandwidth will be shared and in theory each computer will have 1mb/s, although what each computer is doing decides what speed each computer gets/how much bandwidth each one is using, but you get the idea.
for normal browsing it wont slow down

ahhh i see. well thats good then, im pumped lol. next step is to buy a 50 ft. cat5 cable...i saw some on pricewatch for like 17 bucks..tripplite....not the shitty housebrand ahha. and also for my configuration, would it be better to run cat6 from my gigabit router to me "hub" for increased bandwith persae??

whats all this talk of bandwidth?
if im thinking of the same thing then thats set by the isp. no network setup will increase that

Back
Top Bottom