building my new rig, help me

graw2

Baseband Member
I just got my case today, now the only thing I am waiting on is the processor. I have started putting stuff together. I got the motherboard installed, hard drive, dvd drive, and power supply is installed.

I have been trying to install the video card but the connections do not line up with the slot on the back of the case. I have tried several times and I can not get them to line up for the life of me. I don't know if something is wrong or I am doing something wrong.

Also the panel that came with the motherboard, I'm not sure if I put that on correct. It is really loose.

man you should have really waited for the processor. so you could mount that on the mobo before you put the mobo on the case....

Are you sure your video card is not AGP and your mobo has PCI-Express or vice-versa?

I think he's talking about the PCI slots on the back of the case....you kno, the usual 7 places for output...

edit: is your motherboard seated correctly?

The video card is PCI express 16x.

I am pretty sure that the motherboard is seated correctly. All the holes lined up.

The rear panel for the motherboard, does that need to be put on before the motherboard? I had it on there but it was real loose, there was nothing holding it in place.

Which case is is? Which motherboard is it? I would check that the mobo is mounted correctly. Does the back panel which plugs in your keyboards and ethernet and usb's lined up correctly with the back of the case?

That's weird. Can you take a picture of what it looks like and post it up? I can somewhat picture it in my head, but an actual photo would help.

I'll be back in a few minutes, I am going to eat right now.

Do you want me to take a pic of how the motherboard is mounted? I will post it up when I get back.

The rear panel for the motherboard, does that need to be put on before the motherboard? I had it on there but it was real loose, there was nothing holding it in place.
It doesn't really matter whether you put it on before or after, although I always do it first. You have to use the one that came with you motherboard.
I have been trying to install the video card but the connections do not line up with the slot on the back of the case. I have tried several times and I can not get them to line up for the life of me. I don't know if something is wrong or I am doing something wrong.
Could you please post a pic so we can have a better understanding of the situation?

It doesn't really matter whether you put it on before or after, although I always do it first. You have to use the one that came with you motherboard.

Please explain how your would put it on after...:confused: Yes, you must put it on before you install the motherboard. It goes in through the inside of the case through the I/O shield hole, then the motherboard goes in behind it. It should be held in pace by the case.

Your motherboard must not be quite in the case right if you can't put the video card in. To clear it up for certain, do the slot and connector on the motherboard and graphics card fit together? Or is it just not fitting on the case right?

Also, you might as well take the mobo back out and wait to put it back in until after installing the processor. If you install the processor and heatsink while it's in the case it makes the task rather hard, especially if it's a big heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom