Another Graphic Card Question

lee42lee

Baseband Member
Before I start here are my system specs,

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI board
AMD FX-55 CPU
1 Gig Ram
Dual Sli'ed BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC

One of my graphic cards went out and now I am wanting to upgrade. I was thinking about getting a pair of the new Nvidia 9600GTs and another gig of ram. I know my system is getting a bit dated now but what do you guys think? I had also thought about upgrading the mainboard and cpu later and if I do what would some of you recommend? Thanks for any help.

Fistly, one powerful card is most of the time better than two lower powered cards. Get an 8800GTS G92 512MB instead. But the problem is, the rest of your system is going to bottleneck it and to upgrade either the memory/CPU or mobo (I'm assuming you mobo is a skt939 and takes DDR RAM, you're going to have to upgrade the whole thing.

What is your budget? Remember that if you want to upgrade the mobo, you're going to have to buy a new CPU and memory.

I really do not have a set budget to work with. I don't want to spend a ungodly amount but if I am going to upgrade all of that I want a pretty good system. Mostly I play Nr2003 which doesn't take a lot to run but I also play Battlefield 2, and I just bought Frontlines Fuel of War but I haven't got to play it yet.

A single 9600GT or 8800GT could be enough for your needs. If you want to get something even better than that I'd say you're better off with a whole new build.

The OCZ memory worshipme suggested would be a great choice.

As for PSUs, this would work nicely and not break the bank: OCZ StealthXStream 500W Power Supply.

worshipme-
The AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition is a great choice even if you don't overclock. A simple multiplier change, and it's running at 3GHz while using standard air cooling.

Back
Top Bottom