Trying to redo a friends computer

Jason8284

Daemon Poster
He has a PCV-RX682 Sony Vaio computer, and is loaded with viruses and spyware, so I'm trying to use his system recovery disk, but it's not starting up with it. Any ideas why not? I looked in bios to setup boot priorities but there is none in bios. This computer is somewhat old and a POS lol. I've tried everything, I the recovery cd will not start. Please help me so I can fix this old ancient pos. OS is XP

Okay, what you should do is download "Killdisk". Download the floppy version and copy it to a floppy disk. Boot from the floppy and use killdisk to erase the hard drive. Only do this if you have an xp/vista install disc to install with after.

When you get to the boot screen (Sony VAIO Screen), hit f10 (or it could be f12, esc, f2). This will bring you to the boot select screen (not the bios), and you can choose from what drive to boot from. Choose the drive that has the recovery disk in it, and boot from it.

Ensure that if it is a CD drive, that you are using a CD and not a DVD. When you are working with other peoples older machines you sort of think they will have a DVD Player, but this is not always the case.

While booting up, try pressing F12 to see if it will enter the boot menu. If it does, select the CD-ROM as the boot device.

Back
Top Bottom