unable to run any programs

kostonbleeds

In Runtime
so my grandfather has a really old compaq...like with windows 98 on it. it is slow as hell and i had some old ram laying around that would work in it. when i put it in, it all read fine but when i start it in normal mode i cant run any programs. i cant left click or right click-open anything and the video is messed up but i cant refresh it do to not being able to open anything. when i go in safe mode i can open stuff but not change any settings. what does it sound like to you guys?

Open it back up and make sure everything is fully seated and connected. You may have accidentally wiggled something loose while installing the memory.

no everything is fine...but what would that have to do with software? why wouldnt i be able to run any programs? windows will boot and i will get to the desktop (failed to mention that) but i cant open anything up.

I was going off the messed up video.

That is a little odd though. Have you run any virus/spyware scans? Sometimes them little devils will cause that problem. Maybe even a nice registry clean up with CCleaner may help.

well he doesnt have internet so i doubt it would be a virus. could it be the memory? cause it had no problem until i added it, but then again i can run stuff in safe mode. should i take the mem out take out any files he has on my flash drive then do a restore?

On a hunch, you should pull out the new memory stick to see if that had anything to do with it. I don't know if it did, but its worth a try.

yea that was my next move...just wanted to see if you had any suggestions first....its just too bad cause stock the thing has 32 Mb of pc100, this would have added 128

Back
Top Bottom