Prime95 stressing too much?

jashan17

In Runtime
I left prime95 on for around 25 minutes and the temperature was up to 63degrees celsius, so i stopped it. The idle temp is 38. Is this normal for prime95? the torture test was on blend mode.

Hm, sounds weird. I never get that high with P95, even at this point (@3ghz.)

Were you running four instances of it or just one? With four instances running different tests with full stress, I get a maximum of 61-62* at which I was sorta uncomfortable. I'll be getting an aftermarket HSU and fan to make me feel better :).

he is using a after market cooler , if thats it in your sig. thermaltake silent.

its not doing its job very well , i think the stock gets better temps then that,you should take that one back and get zalman 9700

Prime 95s torture tests are meant to push your PC to it's absolute limit to ensure 100% stability. It pushes my quad to 60c as well. If you want to buy an aftermarket cooler then go for one of these:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202005 Those two are probably the best price to performance coolers around. If you want extreme overclocking potential then go for the Zalman 9700 like Cryman suggested. But if you don't want to spend that much on a cooler then one of the others that I suggested will do fine. I have the OCZ Vendetta BTW.

The tests don't ruin your computer, they just push it to the limits. 63c while running Prime95 isn't going to destroy his CPU. Anyway most CPUs will slow themselves right down or switch off automatically if they reach dangerous temps.

The tests don't ruin your computer, they just push it to the limits. 63c while running Prime95 isn't going to destroy his CPU. Anyway most CPUs will slow themselves right down or switch off automatically if they reach dangerous temps.

I dont know if its the CPU Fan, i get 37c idle. I just turned it off cause it was going up pretty high. I was running four worker threads.

37c idle and 60c in prime95 is safe. You just won't be able to OC any further unless you get a better cooler.

Yeah, when I overclocked to 3.6GHZ with my Zalman 9700 cooler, the 4 cores were pushing 65 degrees C when running the torture test, which is why I'm now running at 3.2ghz with a temp of around 55 degrees C when tortured, without messing with any Vcores, etc to increase the temperature dramatically.

Prime 95s torture tests are meant to push your PC to it's absolute limit to ensure 100% stability.
Precisely, that's why we run it.

@ jashan17

What clocks gave you 60°C?

What is your vcore set to?

I was overclocking and benching last night as it was a bit cooler (23°C) and at 3.6GHz with 1.38750v I was hitting 63-63-60-60, while these temps seem hot they're actually not near the top of the scale (71°C) Short term for benches they are fine and even for 24/7 you'll probably replace the processor before you get electrical migration bad enough to kill your cpu.

EDIT: @Kage - I'm currently testing 3.2GHz at this very moment, ambient air temp is 21°C and I'm running at 48-48-45-45 with 1.23750v, prime95 has been running an hour now. I've been adjusting the n/bridge voltage manually too, it's quite amazing how much this affects stability on this board.

Back
Top Bottom