if you think japans 1.2 gb/s was fast think again

Lol you would have something similar to a lag. Because everyone is at such a lower speed you would see everyone lagging. And it would suck to play like that lol. Actually idk if that would happen. I just threw it out there.

Lol you would have something similar to a lag. Because everyone is at such a lower speed you would see everyone lagging. And it would suck to play like that lol. Actually idk if that would happen. I just threw it out there.

Exactly; high transfer speeds does not translate to low ping times. Latency is the time taken for a packet of data to be sent from one application, travel to, and be received by another application. And since latency translates directly to ping, these transfer speeds would not correspond to incredibly low pings in games.

However it would mean that the game could send you a lot more information at once, but the 'lag' effect will still be there. IE: If the server your requesting data from, (be it a web server or a game server) is 1500 physical kilometers away, but your request travels through different switches and hubs and wires for a distance of maybe 2,500 kilometers, both ways. The speed of light traveling through fiber-optic cables is around 200,000 kilomets/sec (considering the glass has an index of refraction of 1.5). So since your request has to travel to and from the server for a total of 5,000 miles, then it takes .025 seconds for your data to get there. Then you've got to account for the fact that the server has to process your request, which is probably going to take on average depending on the requests a couple hundredths to tenths of a second to process.

As you can see high-transfer rates do not correlate to better pings. Rather server process time and the speed of light through glass too. And one of those can't be changed without changing the median, (I'll let you figure out which one :-D).

However that does possibly mean your computer could render a whole continent in wow at once, (assuming your computer was up to it).

That's just a demo to show it can be done. What they don't tell you is how much it cost in R&D, equipment, and man hours. I would imagine you could live comfortably for a good while on what they have invested.
For the present the cost of implementing the upgrade would exceed even the well padded budgets of large corporations.
But on the up side, Damn!!! Now that's fast...

and the point of this comming to your house would be?

this is faster than any of the bus speeds on your machine you couldn't handle that kind of bandwidth

The most powerful PC handles 20Gbps nowdays. That card is expensive as well and it's PCI-E x8.

the only way I figure they could possibly transmit and receive that data that fast is to use some sort of flash memory. because everyone knows it can not be any HDD thats out now...now I wonder how they convert this digital signal from IO to light that fast...because that all has to come into the time equation when dealing with transfer rates because who cares if the line is capable of transmitting at 100TB/s if you can not possibly send or recieve that fast...

so how did that do that, cause technically fiber optics can have thoretically infinte bandwidth...

the only way I figure they could possibly transmit and receive that data that fast is to use some sort of flash memory. because everyone knows it can not be any HDD thats out now...now I wonder how they convert this digital signal from IO to light that fast...because that all has to come into the time equation when dealing with transfer rates because who cares if the line is capable of transmitting at 100TB/s if you can not possibly send or recieve that fast...

so how did that do that, cause technically fiber optics can have thoretically infinte bandwidth...

They weren't saving the data, just transmitting it. Routers have no hard drive (except in very special circumstances)

Back
Top Bottom