Harddrive is Failing..

yes i ran it..no errors..
can you recommend me a hdd? doesn't have to be big since i use my master drive now as a slave
I'm a Western Digital fan tbh, but you need to look at a few things first, if you are going to build a new pc later on is it worth buying SATA or IDE now, also if check disk is finding no errors on your drive then what is causing your problem and will replacing the drive solve your problem. Is your pc SATA capable?

I'd like some more info on your existing drive if you don't mind, is it making any unusual noise, clicking, grinding etc?

What brand is it?

Have you tried a different IDE cable? (given the age of the pc I'm assuming it is an IDE drive)

I'm a Western Digital fan tbh, but you need to look at a few things first, if you are going to build a new pc later on is it worth buying SATA or IDE now, also if check disk is finding no errors on your drive then what is causing your problem and will replacing the drive solve your problem. Is your pc SATA capable?

I'd like some more info on your existing drive if you don't mind, is it making any unusual noise, clicking, grinding etc?

What brand is it?

Have you tried a different IDE cable? (given the age of the pc I'm assuming it is an IDE drive)

the hd is a maxtor 200gb Ultra ATA/133 disk running at 7200RPM i tried a diff ide cable..still the same issue...the pc is not sata capable..think the pc is 7 years old..the hd doesnt make any kind of noises clicks or grinding..i think its a hd problem because..a few weeks back my brother gave me a western digital 40 gb..i used that as a master and it was running great until one night i was downloading torrents+watching a movie..i believe i overworked the hd(if thats even possible) and it shut off and stopped working...so i got rid of it assuming it crashed..but for the couple of weeks i was using it the pc ran fine..i was able to restart with no issues..and reboot only took about 25 seconds..

the hd is a maxtor 200gb Ultra ATA/133 disk running at 7200RPM i tried a diff ide cable..still the same issue...the pc is not sata capable..think the pc is 7 years old..the hd doesnt make any kind of noises clicks or grinding..i think its a hd problem because..a few weeks back my brother gave me a western digital 40 gb..i used that as a master and it was running great until one night i was downloading torrents+watching a movie..i believe i overworked the hd(if thats even possible) and it shut off and stopped working...so i got rid of it assuming it crashed..but for the couple of weeks i was using it the pc ran fine..i was able to restart with no issues..and reboot only took about 25 seconds..
Having read this I'm leaning towards a m/board fault, more than likely a hard drive controller.

When you go into Device Manager are there any exclamation marks visible?

I doubt d/loading a torrent + watching a movie "overworked" the hdd and as the problem is ongoing with a different drive I believe the problem lies elsewhere.

I presume you have run virus and spyware scans, yes? I wonder if it could be some sort of boot sector virus?

Anyway I'd give Atomic Roosters idea a try as well, it can't hurt.

The fact that this is ongoing with a different drive makes me think it is a different piece of hardware and not the HDD. Have you run any diagnostics on the cpu or RAM (the RAM is the more likely culprit imo but you never know) also how does the m/board look? no leaking capacitors visible at all?

Having read this I'm leaning towards a m/board fault, more than likely a hard drive controller.

I doubt d/loading a torrent + watching a movie "overworked" the hdd and as the problem is ongoing with a different drive I believe the problem lies elsewhere.

I presume you have run virus and spyware scans, yes? I wonder if it could be some sort of boot sector virus?

The fact that this is ongoing with a different drive makes me think it is a different piece of hardware and not the HDD. Have you run any diagnostics on the cpu or RAM (the RAM is the more likely culprit imo but you never know) also how does the m/board look? no leaking capacitors visible at all?

None at all

Yes tried that..nothing there..all clean

Couldn't find that utility anywhere.

for the diagnostics..i wouldn't know where to go to find such utility..im not a complete noob when it comes to computers..but im still a lil wet behind the ears when it comes to things like that...and no the capacitors are not leaking

Ram run Memtest86+ (You'll need to burn the .iso file to a CD with Nero or similar)

CPU run Prime95 (There are three tests with prime95 try all three)

Maxtor (Sea Tools diagnostic)

EDIT: The Rooster beat me while I was assembling links, lol

:D

The diagnostic software you need for your drive is called SeaTools. It works for both Seagate and Maxtor drives. Get it here: SeaTools. :D

Thanks..im gonna run it

which test do i choose?
313g57l.jpg

It failed the short and long tests?

If so, it's definitely time for a new drive. How old is the drive? It could be still covered under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom