How many fans can fit in one molex motherboard slot?

jashan17

In Runtime
I was just wondering, i have two fans with the 4 pin molex adapter connected to each other and into the motherboard. How many can you stack up onto each other on that one slot? I was just really curious. I have my other fans hooked up to the power supply or 3 pin slots.

There are no molex connectors on the m/board so the answer is none.

If however you mean how many fans can you run off a psu molex connector it is a simple mathematical equation of the amperage of the 12v rail divided by the amperage draw of the fans which equals the number of fans you can run.

There are no molex connectors on the m/board so the answer is none.

If however you mean how many fans can you run off a psu molex connector it is a simple mathematical equation of the amperage of the 12v rail divided by the amperage draw of the fans which equals the number of fans you can run.

I dont know if im using the right terms... I mean that 4 pin plug in the motherboard with the rather big pins. I dont understand. lol

is it this?
4%20Pin%20Molex%20Male.jpg

I think you'll find that he is talking about a four pin fan header on a m/board, I believe Bryn posted a pic of one in an earlier thread that he may still have hosted online and could post here.

The deal is the same though, you need to do the maths to work out how many, for starters you'll need to find the amperage of the header and divide by the fan draw.

I was looking at the same type of thing when I had the Thermalright IFX-14 in my box, I was looking at running two 120mm fans from the cpu fan header but gave up in the end as I couldn't find definitive information on the max amps you could draw through the header.

one of these?

pwmfan.jpg

if it is, i hardly doubt it would be designed to draw any more current that one fan could need - a better idea would be to just use a spare peripheral power lead from the PSU

well I apologise mate, I was incorrect, you do in fact have a molex on your m/board. :eek:

That's the first one I've ever seen.

The formula will be the same none the less, you'll have to do the maths.

well I apologise mate, I was incorrect, you do in fact have a molex on your m/board. :eek:

That's the first one I've ever seen.

The formula will be the same none the less, you'll have to do the maths.

Oh, i have a 680i nforce. what is the formula? think its safe to have two in one?

Back
Top Bottom