should i switch processor??

Insan3aznboii

Baseband Member
ok so i was planning to get this processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

but my friend showed me this website that is selling an intel core 2 quad Q6600 for only $200 which is $20 dollars more (in store only). the good thing about this is that its only half an hour away from me.

so should i stick with the duo or go with the quad??

and heres the website www.microcenter.com that they advertised the quad for $200

First off, what will you be using the PC for?
Secondly, that's a very good price for the Q6600. They normally go for around $250 nowadays.
The E6750 is a quality CPU but Intel have new 45nm Core 2 Duos released called the E8xxx series. They feature higher clock speeds and a 6MB L2 cache as opposed to the 4MB of the E6xxx series. Here is one from the site you linked to: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281097
I think they're actually more expensive at Newegg. But to give you a definite recommendation, I need you to answer my question.

i do play alot of online games like mmorpgs, strategy games like age of empires 3 for example and i want to get into COD4 other than that i just do the regular web browsing, instant messaging, and downloads movies and music thats about it

For future purposes, I'd probably go Quad, but sometimes my mind shoots ahead, and by the time I'd probably need the power, I'd of updated my processor in the first place...
Luckily, I'm using the power now, and not later, like I did with the first 64bit processor I got, which I never used the power of, as I've always got 32bit operating systems.

Its up to you. If you won't replace for a very long time, the quad is probably your best bet.
I have many programs up at once usually, and splitting them up into different parts really helps me.

A dual is usually better suited to gaming though. As almost all games aren't multi-threaded. The dual will normally give as good or a lot of the time slightly better performance than a quad for gaming. With the money you save from getting a C2D over a C2Q, you can put it towards maybe going from 2GB to 4GB of RAM, which will make more of a difference. I recommend the Intel C2D E8400.

I would too especially given the upcoming April 20th price cuts, I'll be grabbing one for sure, 4GHz on air sounds like fun to me.

:D

I think I'll wait for the Nehalems unless I can find someone who will swap me one for my Q6600. What are the prices likely to drop to?

As we can see, with modern games we do see a big increase by using a quad core processor

ut3botmatch1024yt7.jpg

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248327-28-overclocked-q6600-e8400-compared-benchmarks-included

If you look at the newer game benchmarks, they almost always favor a quad core.

The unreal tourment 3 engine is an exception, as it's multi-threaded. The only other game I know of that shows an increase with quads is Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. Even Crysis doesn't take full advantage of quads.

Well, its good to get a Quad in that case, as you can be assured more and more games will take use of a Quad

Back
Top Bottom