S-vdeo quality

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
So I found an extra s-video cable laying around and decided to hook it up to the tv in my dorm.

But I noticed that I do not get good quality from it unless I lower the resolution down to something like 800x600. I want to be able to play games like this, (mainly because I think it would be cool), but at a higher resolution.

Is their anyway I can increase the quality of the image on my tv without lowering the resolution? At 1024x768 it becomes so blurry that it is impossible to read any text on the screen. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also have some dvd rips, (i legally own the dvd too so don't bust my chops), on my computer. However when I go to play them it appears black on the tv screen. I can play them on my computers normal display but not on the tv. If anyone has an answer for this too it would be greatly appreciated.

you computer monitor is essentially HD or near HD where i am assuming your TV is standard deff, or your not seeting your resolution to the native resolution of the TV

i did the same thing u did mayorbread. wanted to play some fear on my dads 51 inch bigscreen tube tv. but, like you, had to put the res down so low.....
ne way, no, i couldent find ne thing that would help that.

:(

ok guys its quiet simple really,

s-video ("video")

its not ment to display text, i have the same problem on my 32" LCD hooked my comp upto it through s-video and had to have res as 800 X 600 because of unreadable text,

swapped to a DVI-HDMI converter and its fine now,

basicly s-video isnt meant to display text so you will not get clear pics, although on my t.v i could set the resolution at 1600 X 1400 (i think) well really high text is completely unreadable but video is perfect.

there is a reason why alot of t.v's come with a DVI or VGA connector and specifically say PC input and dont all jus come with s-video for the pc because its not ment for displaying text

Most standard definition TV's don't have connections like VGA or DVI though.

My old one only had S-video and scart connections which were pretty much useless for showing the PC on at a decent resolution.

Do remember, old TV's support resolutions along the lines of 640x480 in computer display terms, and would need to be set to that to get a good picture, otherwise, the TV is stretching an image it can't display correctly.

I don't know the answer to DVD's showing black though...

Okay I guess I will have to live with the low resolutions on the screen though. Its really not that bad.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the DVD's to show up black on the tv?

change your refresh rate......i know when i hook up my lappy to my skools projector and play FEAR, i have to change the refresh rate to get it to show

yh or stop and play the video on the correct screen

So un-creative.

I upped the refresh rate to 75, seems to have helped with the text blur, I can read my file names and what not now. Didn't even think about that.

@Borat: Unfortunately that did not work :'(

Back
Top Bottom