Computer Over Heats!! Help

I really need help! this is ridiculous!! and to add on to the fact that the heatsink is to big , theres no spot to plug the damn fan in! i couldnt find any space anywhere ! i have pics to prove it! PLEEEZ HELP!

I really need help! this is ridiculous!! and to add on to the fact that the heatsink is to big , theres no spot to plug the damn fan in! i couldnt find any space anywhere ! i have pics to prove it! PLEEEZ HELP!

post pics, what motherboard do you have?

Its not a big deal. The heat sink is the metal plate with finns that sits on top of what is being cooled. The heat sink spreads the heat and the fan sits on top of the heat sink is to cool it down.

Well, Le 3eme oeil, HSF is basically an acronym for heatsink and fan. A lot of older PCs had CPUs that ran so cool, that they only needed a heatsink for some thermal dissipation. The heatsink is the metal block between the fan and CPU, or just a metal block on the CPU if you have one of these older PCs.

Todays CPUs require a much more effective cooling system, so they mount fans on to the heatsink to provide better cooling. It works quite well. So, in todays terms, CPU fan and heatsink usually go together as the same thing.

it depends on the CPU. Like what was stated, the newer CPUs require good cooling. Good cooling is uses a fan and the best cooling is with water or phase-change. Since yours is a 2.8GHz it will definitely need at least a fan.

post pics, what motherboard do you have?

I will post pics when i get home, and i'm not sure i'm going to call up dell support to have them give me the info on my motherboard etc. The thing is now that i put my old heatsink back on the computer doesnt even stay on for 10 mins before it shuts off!! So i'll do what i can with in 10 mins! But yet again i have a DELL DIMENSION 3000 pc its a 2.8gh P4 (2.79gh it says on my computer properties) And when I POP THE CASE OFF and touch the heat sink its PIPING HOT !! I just either need a new heatsink or preferably a new heatsink/fan to work!! :confused:

Try using a program like Everest, it will run a diagnostic on you PC and tell you what MB and hardware you have.

Back
Top Bottom