Video card question

That card will run Vista, but you wont get to take advanyage of all the DX10 goodies. The 7600 only supports DX9. I would suggest at least a 8600GT as it has full support for DX10.

I would go with the 8600GT but I'm afraid I'll have problems with it because it seems the reviews for it are worse than the 7600's.

Also, Whats DX9 and DX10?

I haven't seen too many bad reviews on the 8600GT. Have a look at the EVGA and XFX brands, They all get great reviews. I have one in my wife's machine and it works perfectly.

DX10 = DirectX 10

Direct X:
A set of APIs developed by Microsoft that enables programmers to write programs that access hardware features of a computer without knowing exactly what hardware will be installed on the machine where the program eventually runs. DirectX achieves this by creating an intermediate layer that translates generic hardware commands into specific commands for particular pieces of hardware. In particular, DirectX lets multimedia applications take advantage of hardware acceleration features supported by graphics accelerators.

DirectX 10 is an advanced version that is only available in Vista. It provides much more detail and realism in games.

The 8600GT just gets ragged on because it's bang-for-buck isn't as good as the 7600GT was or the 6600GT was. It's still an okay card (if you want to run Crysis and such you'll want something with a little more power, at least the 8600GTS).

I don't really play any intense computer games, so I don't think i need anything crazy.

But if you were to chose between the 7600GT and the 8600GT would you still go with 8600GT?

Here's how I would choose:

Windows Vista - 8600GT to take advantage of DX10 apps and games. (Aero will look splendid)

Windows XP - 7600GT as they will perform just as well if not better in DX9 games.

If you can get the 7600GT much cheaper, might as well get that. There's not that big of a difference. But if the 8600GT is only like $10 more, might as well get that.

The 8600GT Is Much better than the 7600GT.With my 8600GT Overclocked,i can run Crysis on half settings high,half settings medium on 1440x900 nice n smooth,and it looks amazing!

Back
Top Bottom